holy copper pipe price gouging batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ground Master, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I musta been abducted recently or something..............when did the price of copper go thru the stratosphere? $32.00 for a 10' stick of 3/4? holy smokes! Seems like it was only $10 a stick a few weeks ago.............

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

32.00 for 10' is way to high. i think i just paid $12 but was really surprised at that price. not sure when it went up but just noticed it the other day.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we just did a job where the house was built in the 1930's...copper pipe everywhere under ground. We kept what we dug up when we were installing infiltration trenches and scrapped it. Somewhere around $3 per pound i think...scrap copper price skyrocketed..along with most other scrap too.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

M tubing or L tubing? I don't think even 1/2 inch L is under a buck a foot these days.

5. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

it cost like $100 for a bf set up, ma's, combo tee, drain, 90's and pipe. its crazy

just yesterday i got 2 3/4 10' sticks at home depot. the tag read $23 and change. i was about to sign my name one the credit card thing when i noticed she charged me $32 ea. not her fault she just scans the tag but she had the manager come over and they went and did a price check, i was right.

they almost got me for an extra $18 on top of the beating im already taking.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

No joke, if you can buy copper 3/4" type M at that price I will make a road trip and buy a 1000'.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Check the prices on wire it is moving just as fast

8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i'm going to go check prices this morning. sounds crazy to me. what happened? chinese buying all our copper now?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It takes energy to refine the copper ore, and to manufacture the pipe and fittings. You now can see fittings made from powdered brass/bronze, like those Italian ball valves are.

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Chinese have been buying our copper