Holy Crabgrass Batman....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jul 28, 2003.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is it just me, or is this a BANNER year for Crabgrass in the Northeast??? :(

With the wet summer so far, and it raining almost every night, heavy dew, and HOT days, the stuff is thriving.

This would have been the year for 3 apps of pre-emergent. I got it growing smack dab in the middle of some lawns that NEVER had a problem before! The edges around sidewalks and driveways are infested, and is taking more trim time per lawn.

Anyone else in other parts of the country experiencing this?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a lot in properties that didn't receive a pre-M. I have only 1 client calling to date w/ regards to a crabgrass complaint. We just took on this account in March for fertilizing. Their lawn was sparse in areas and I forewarned them about the potential crabgrass problem. Now I have to remind them of the pre-season conversation and sell them a renovation package for the fall.

They have given us several compliments regarding our broadleaf weed control, so I don't think they'll have a problem w/ the renovation.

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

not to much on crab grass. Deminsion 1 app in spring is holding up well. It is the goosegrass that I am having a hard time with. I got it everywhere including places that never had it before. Heavy infestations. Thank god for the cooler days and rain cuz the MSMA has been going like mad.

4. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

we have it bad down here too!!

5. twippingbillie

twippingbillie LawnSite Member

I have it bad in my own yard. I just used some liquid weed killer and it all seems to be dying now. Weeds covered about 15-20% of my lawn. What do you guys think my next step should be? Aerate and over seed? Or should I take a tiller to the larger patches and re-seed? Thanks.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is exactly right. The Pre-M is long gone, and we now have all sorts of new crabgras popping up. Dimension has been helpful, as long as it is hit before the 5 leaf stage. The problem is, with some non-irrigated lawns, we haven't had any significant rainfall in the last few weeks to get it down in. But like you said, we could've just used Pre-m right straight through, this year. The weeds just keep germinating, and germinating, and germinating. Unusual conditions this year.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

YYEPPPPP!

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

TLS,

Crabgrass is bad here in the midwest too. I never get crabgrass in my lawn but I got it this year. I have several customers who have it growing along the driveways and sidewalks.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Same here also, I have it in lawns that have had no problems in years.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a large area that was tilled for a garden but never got planted. It's pure crabgrass, pure.