1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HOLY CRAP! Oil filter put on by a gorilla!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Pastures, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Tried to do my 5 hour oil and oil filter change on my new Exmark 60" Turf Tracer with the 23 hp Kawasaki twin.

Must have some Japanese guys with arms like gorilla's.

I cannot get the oil filter off.

I tried with (clean) bare hands.

I tried with rubber grippy gloves on.

I went to the auto parts store and got an oil filter wrench and I STILL cannot get the filter to budge!

2. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

righty - tighty, lefty - loosey!!!!!
  3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

When i cant get one off i just bust a screwdriver through the filter and turn it...I know not the best way but it works..
  4. Green Pastures

Yeah, thanks for that breakthrough information.

I'm pretty familiar with how oil filters are removed.
  5. Green Pastures

Tried that too, although I did not want to admit doing it to a brand new engine.

That filter will not budge.

I've called the dealer I bought it from and left an emergency message with the service department.

I've never seen anything like this before.

I'm sure I could wrench the crap out of it and get it to move but what happens when the threaded part breaks off from the block? Who pays for that?

I want the dealer to fix it at this point.
  6. thecollector

thecollector LawnSite Member

Did you buy filter pliers or a filter wrench? Their are several types of tools to remove oil filters. Their are cups that are molded to fit the filter that go into a ratchet. Their are strap wrenches that are made of a type of seat belt material. Their are band wrenches that are made of a strip of looped metal. Their are little spring loaded claws that are on are mounted to a plate and go on a ratchet, and of course their are filter pliers. The band wrenches I have found to be the best on equipment. If this is your mowers first service it will most likely be pain to remove. When the filter is installed at the factory they do not always do a good job of lubing the base plate-oil filter gasket interface which will result in a super sticky fit. Try getting a band wrench and twisting the filter as close to the base plate as you can reach. Punching holes with a srewdriver is always a last resort and many times just twists the filter into a ball. If the threads are damaged they can most likely be serviced with a replacement nipple or housing so don't worry to much. Good luck...
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've always used the seat belt type filter wrenches seemed to work well. You will not damage the nipple on the block. If its too much of a pita just take it to the dealer, let them have fun with it. I've never had one that I couldn't get off a mower with a wrench but on a truck thats a different story.
  8. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

If you have enough clearance, you could try a long pipe big enough to slide over the wrench, socket, or screwdriver and use that as leverage.

Or go to the gym, but that will definitely take longer.
  9. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

To prevent this from happening again, DON'T put the filter on with a wrench - only put on hand-tight (as tight as you can).

I had some idiot put a filter on my truck with a wrench, and when I finally got it off, I was covered (literally) with oil.
  10. pmspaul

pmspaul LawnSite Member

Have you tried using the rubber strap wrenches available for getting stuck lids off of jars? It works like the seat belt style filter wrench someone else mentioned, but if you have the space around the filter and it's clean and dry, it is more effective in my experience. I have a set from Alltrade that are pretty big, the larger one has a rubber strap that is an inch wide and the handle is about 18" long. It gives you a lot of leverage on the filter. I have used these on some farm equipment my family owns with success.

Screwdrivers work, but make a big mess and will actually just tear through the sides of the filter if it's too stuck. End cap wrenches work well on properly torqued filters, which you don't have. Otherwise they'll just round the edges quickly.

If you get it off, oil up the new o-ring and put it on hand tight. Most oil filters only need up to about 17ft. lbs. of torque. About 3/4 of a turn or so after the o-ring contacts the engine.

I hope this helps some,