holy PITA

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jimslawncareservice, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

This lady has been quiet for a while and easy going. Tell her I'll br there today to get her stuff trimmed. She's been calling every night to remind me. Calls at 815 wondering where I am. Tell her getting diesel and I'll be on my way. Go to start truck and its dead. So I give her a call to tell her it will be a little later. She tells me I have personal problems, and demands I give her a time I'll be there. I simply couldn't because I don't know if its a simple fix or not. Then I tell her tis find someone else to do her work. She said send a worker or another company. I am solo in summer and fall, so there's no one to send. It's up to her find someone else. Then she said not everyone would give me a second chance. I tell her not everyone is as impatient as her. I was really getting pissed at her because she just keeps rambling on telling me that I'm not dependable and its one thing after another. I said I'm done with this shat and find some one else. She mumbled something about my wording. I don't remember what I said. So she asked again what time I would be there. I tell o don't know and I didn't plan on this. She tells me it gets dark at 7. I say its not an all day job. She says it takes forever. I tell her that I've done this many times. She says not here you haven't. I said I've done many jobs and cut the same, so I know how long it takes. Then she tells me how to proceed. I said yes you've made it clear at least 10 times already. And that was the end of the conversation. I think I need to type something up because this is terrible. I just couldn't get through to her, and she made me into someone I'm not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Sorry for the long story. It just pissed me off so bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

I say run and run fast far away from her. That's not worth it.

4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

older folks have to be treated with kid gloves many times ...many have nothing better to do than expect you to show up as you are the entertainment for the week--

I don't make appointments and don't give customers that level of direct communication...

I use mostly email so I can document everything and have an answering machine that people can leave a message...it gets text messaged to me immediately, so I can decide what calls are important to return immediately or which ones can wait until I am in the office in front of a computer so I can answer scheduling questions or billing-

many folks on here will argue about how important it is to always answer the phone immediately lest you miss out on a sale...somewhat true, though as a single operator, you need to be efficient with your time...talking on the phone all day instead of working is a rough life and not very efficient as people tend to go on and on about non work related things...I used to answer phone calls twice each day, noon, 5/6 pm

---email is so much easier and folks using email don't give you as much gruff

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like an old lady that is alone and her mind is not what it once was. Got to go slow with them. They let their worries get the best of them. All you can do is repeat that you don't know how long it will take to get the truck fixed but soon as it's repaired she's first in line. Repeat over as needed.

As to gets dark by 7. Don't worry I'll be there first thing tomorrow to finish, again repeat as needed to reassure.

6. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

I'll have call and deal with you. I said pretty much what you said, at first. I have to tons of old people I do work for
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

The lawn care company coming is probably the high point of her day. They get lonely and will even call 911 for somebody to talk to. Also, she said it was an all day job because she very well could be the kind who stands out there watching you and will be unreasonably picky. Who was trimming her bushes before? Good luck.

8. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Email doesn't fly with most older people. I get text on occasions.

Here's an example.... Wtfay? Mgisl. Untbhasap. Anyone want to decode that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

She can't really walk. The guy before just did stuff like that for something to do. All I'm doing is cutting off perennials and removing the excess. Truck got towed away. Now I'm on my way with my wifes truck to get my other truck. Good thing I have 3.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll take a stab at it. Where the f are you? My grass is so long. U need to be here asap. If that's correct these people would not be my customer any longer nor get a reply. I'm not going to have someone talking to me like I'm their 16 year old son.
    Posted via Mobile Device