1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Holy ****...time to edge??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Oct 5, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm sure you guys have seen this recently........five inches of "overgrowth" along sidewalks. While many lawns look pretty good, I see so many that have not been edged in years.

So lately, I've been telling customers to go to Home Dept or Menards to buy a cheap (homeowner version) edger (plus enough electric cord).

Anybody else seeing this?:usflag:
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

umnnn....why aren't you edging your customers curbing/sidewalks? At a minimum we do them every other service.
  3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he is an applicator, not a mowing service.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah i do it weekly or bi weekly, a few i can get away with every 3rd week even. I usually just do it when conditions are best, dry and when i know i can make a nice clean cut.

but yeah, ive had new clients that had never had them edged, the DIRT was so deep the blade didnt even get down past the roots to meet the curb :cry:

Then with all that crap, what are you to do with it, take it away in back of the truck? i just chop it up with the mower and let em deal with it, usually takes a few edged times to get it descent looking even.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

you charge them for the service. Haul it away if you have to. Thing is once you do it the neighbors will notice how much nicer everything looks.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

It makes a world of diffence in the entire look of the lawn and home. An edged drive and walks looks so much better
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, i edge them every time. it's makes the job complete. of course with bermuda you pretty much have to edge every time.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm. I say taper every chance you get. But that's just me.

There's nothing worse than having to tackle that kind of crap with a stick edger. I take my trimmer and scalp it all back first, then I edge. It takes forever. I'm not "big boned," so this sort of BS just kills my beastly pythons. :weightlifter:
  9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Why would any lawn service not edge every time they are there? The edge is what makes the lawn in my opinion. Sure, sometimes the first time can be rough to get the edge established, but after that it takes about 1-2 min every week on most lawns around here. Why skip it?
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Time and convenience for me. Most folks here taper, and since I've already got to get out my trimmer, why not just use one stick to finish the job? String is cheaper than blades, and the trimmer is easier to use.

Plus, this way, my edger will last forever. :laugh: