1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

homade lawn striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowforyourmoney, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mowforyourmoney

mowforyourmoney LawnSite Member
    from kc

hey yall this is my first post (yippee) any way ive been looking for striping kits for the 36" scamper i'm gonna buy bought i'm not to fond of their price so i was wondering how hard and whats involved in making my own and can i see some pics of your finished stripe and rollers
    thanx a TON
    lawnz lawncare
  2. mowforyourmoney

from kc

oh i guess this is my 2nd (oh well)
  3. chopper2

chopper2 LawnSite Member

Do a search for striping
  4. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I made one
    from a belt taken off a round hay bailer,
    it is basicly a piece of rubber belt that i put metal strips on each side and bolted to the mowing deck, it is very very similar to what you can buy.
    I have seen people at their homes drag mats, the coolest was a mount built off the back of a craftsman rider that looked like a 3 point hitch and had about 20 small sections of chain (like one or 2 ring) just enough to drag a little and he has great stripes.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Some chain, nuts and bolts, and a piece of angle iron, the easiest way to do it IMO.
  6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted a homemade roller method last summer. I am using the roller and also three cut up sections of a radial tire bolted to an angle iron which is then bolted to my deck.
    Kinda like a man who wears a belt and suspenders at the same time -- just in case.

I got some replies about how it would not last because I wasn't using bearings -- the bushings made out of electrial
    conduit are still holding up. Do a search using my name to find it if you are interested.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Been there, done that, I got tired of the chains getting stuck in the mesh of the ramp gate. Bought a Big League stripe kit and a world of difference in quality.
  8. mowforyourmoney

from kc

thanx nosmo ....hey wouldn't chains and bolts did into the ground? does any one else have any pics from their stripers
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

There are a bunch of ways to make your own and save some coin.

But just get it and mow with it first. Honestly, the larger Great Danes stripe pretty dang good without anything. Will yours have the Gen II deck?
  10. mowforyourmoney

from kc

i really don't know envy it's a 36 scamper pistol grip... but i guess i'll see how it looks without a roller but from pics i've seen i think i'll make one

THANKS EVERYONE for all your help