Home Based

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfproinc, Dec 12, 2002.

1. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

Is it possible to run a lawncare business from the garage until you get big enough move into a shop? Or are the maintenance requirements to great? Enlighten me please.

2. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Our shop is a garage behind my partners house. Is 2 1/2 car and 30ft. deep. We keep equipment on trailer until time to sharpen blades and that kind of stuff. It works out just fine for us. Let me know if I can help anymore.
    Jon Walker
    cutting edge lawn and landscape

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

definately possible re: space

but your town may have by-laws restricting you. ie: no commercial vehicle parking, etc.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think in some instances you have to until your business grows enough to the point you can afford to move into a separate location.

But it comes a time when it is nice not to have to look at your equipment in the middle of your driveway 24/7. I know it was a great relief for me to find a separate location about a year after i was in business.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

You will find alot of people do. Make sure you check with local goverment or home owner associalton about any restrictions. In my case I can, but am not allowed to have any large industrial equipment on site or have employee traffic. Kinda open to individual interpitation. I just try to stay in the good graces of my nieghbors.

6. higherpower

higherpower LawnSite Member

It is very possible! I have been operating our of my 2 car garrage for almost 10 years. I have change engines, transmissions, fixed my spindles. etc. I have an air compressor an array of tools to help in fixing my eqipment. I have Dixon, a 48" Snapper, and 60" Snapper plus 3 21"selfpropelled. In my case this has been very good for me. I save on rent plus I can work on my equipment whenever I have the time instead of having to go across town to a shop. Of course, if you grow to big, you probably must have a shop. Hope everything turns out well for you. Merry Cristmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah its possible to operate from the home. We do it right now but it is starting to become a pain in the butt. We live in a subdivision, but the lots are fairly big, ours is 2.5acres so plenty big. Right now we just have a one car shed out in back, it wasnt built for my business at the time, but it has turned into my shed now. Getting crowed in it and such, time for a bigger one or else look for some land to build a shed on. We keep the trailer next to the driveway which my dad calls it "the lovely lawn ornament" Looks a little tacky but not bad. But its really handy when you need to work on the machines and you dont need to drive anywhere its all in the back shed. It's not my house and if it was my house i would probley go and find some land to build a decent shop/shed hate driving all my equipment down to the shed after the day is done considering i dont have an enclosed trailer yet.
    Matt

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Amen Rodfather! I ran my business out of my home for the past 9 years. I just recently rented a shop to now run my business out of. Sure is nice to walk out the front door of my home and not see 2 trailers parked anymore. I love this business, but I also need time to get away from it when im not working!

9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I do as well--- 52' x 30' Pole Building. I live back a 600' driveway, so nobody can even see my house. I got lucky when I found this place!!

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I run my business out of my home. I use my garage as my shop. I have to admit its getting crowded. I have no problems with city ordinances as long as no customers come to my house. I keep all my equipment inside so as to keep the neighbors happy. Also, I wouldn't want to see the trailer sitting in my driveway everyday.

Mike
    DLCS