Home Brew spreader/sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TL1981, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TL1981

TL1981 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys. You will probably get a kick out of this but I was mowing today and daydreaming as usual... idea pops in my head. Why not modify my Wright stander to spray and spread like the PG or Z spray machines? Sounds like a good simple idea. If I could do it for a few grand at most it would be far cheaper than 8k plus on another machine.

Now I don't now much about these machines so maybe its just a stupid idea but I wanted to post it and see what responses I would get and if anyone has done it. Or you can just tell me its a stupid idea and why it won't work...:dancing:

2. TL1981

TL1981 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I did a quick search and see that some have done this on other machines. Do any of you have recomendations on where to get the box, booms and hoses etc.?

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I think it is a dumb idea. You want a dedicated machine. You will rust out your wright stander. Figure that cost. The spreader the Z uses is around 700.00 alone.

4. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will end up spending way too much time and money in the long run. Z is the way to go. I just hired a new guy a few weeks ago that used to run PG's (poor guy). But he loves the new Z. Good luck if you do build this:)

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Mowers are designed to mow, applicators are designed to applicate. Think of it this way....A sofa sleeper is a sofa and a bed right..AND they aint for crap as a sofa and aint for crap as a bed.

buy a good unit that will last for some years and amortize it over that time and you will find that it is costing you very little per application and making you lots.

6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Applicators ARE mowers that have been stripped down and rebuilt... The T3000 is a john deer tractor... I don't know what the Z started out as.. but it's obvoiusly based on a stand on..

I say go for it.. find the hill climin'est mower around, and turn it into a sprayer.. it really won't cost all that much, if you go electric..

$1000 for a good spreader, $100 for a 30 gallon tank $150 for an electric pump $100-$400 for plumbing, _ any fab work.... It probably won't look pretty... but it might be a heck of a machine!

I've often thought about building an attachment for my grasshopper to do the same..

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong...the Z is built on the frame of a Wright stander.

8. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct!

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I agree with this. The machine you come up will not be as efficient as those already on the market. Why reinvent the wheel.

10. TL1981

TL1981 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Becasue it's fun!!! :clapping: