Home built trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ranger350, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

Finally uploaded pictures of my one trailer I built spring of 2008, thought I would share. Deck is 80" x 24 feet. Material is 5x2x.187" and 3x2x.125" crossmembers. Tandem 7000 lb axles. I fabed the fenders and light boxes out of aluminum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

damn thats real nice

3. ranger350

Can't find the fender pix, but the ones for my other trailer I built are the same minus the light boxes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

wow thats nice!! how long did it take u? do you build all your trailers?

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Holy crap, that's an awesome job! Let us know how much $$$ you had in materials. How long does it take to get a vin # and get it plated?Thumbs Up

6. ranger350

It took about a month, it was totally last minute. There was a week or two wait on the axles if i remember and that kinda screwed me for time. Definatly a solid weeks work or more. Yea I build my trailers, its definatly cheaper.

7. ranger350

No VIN, just go to the licence office and get a trailer ownership, register whatever weight and get plates haha. Since its operated commercially it does have to be safetied every year though.

~5000 CDN in materials just off the top of my head. Steel was around .75 cents/lb if i remember

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

dude, we should hire you to make our new trailers and drive to get them, omg. you made a very sweet unit there. i have a question, what about the flooring for that one, i didnot see any in the pics, but i assume maybe it wa not done yet as you said the fenders were not on there even yet. dude, very nice

9. ranger350

I might consider doing something like that on the side. As for the flooring its 2x10 planks. Where i did the beavertail there is no crossmember on the hump and was to lazy to put one there so i made an aluminum sheet bent in the middle to go over the peak and bolt through the planks into existing cross members. I'll post some finished pictures of it tommorow as well as the first trailer I built in 2004.

Keep in mind that I did this from my head with no sketches, everthing was kind of improvised along the way. I did do 3D modeling in CAD for the fenders though to get the bends right and to generate the drawings to get them laser cut.

10. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, very nice solid trailer you got there! Do you make any enclose trailers? I would love to drive to Burford and pick one up for cheap! lol only a couple of hours from where I live.