1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Home cheapo mulch...sucks!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Feb 16, 2012.

1. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'm too far south, in Sarasota county.

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

To be honest I am not sure of all there locations....I do know they are big around here.

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: how much garbage did you find in it?

4. Some. The only plus about the mulch is I can use the bags for landscape waste.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I know for a fact menards grinds their own mulch and I believe Home Depot and Lowes does the same. A few years ago I asked the manager at our local Menards what they do with all the junk lumber, because god knows they have alot. He said it all goes back to the wharehouse and they grind it into wood chips and its then bagged for landscape mulch. This goes for all their scrap lumber too. I'm sure all the big box stores do the same.

6. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

I believe all the home depot mulch and pavers/hardscaping in the whole southeast us comes from the same vendor, old castle. They carry many brands but its all the same stuff. I think they also supply lowes and most other big box stores.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

Its called Bolling Forest Products, not boiling.. just for informational purposes for everyone

8. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

what's funny is when you buy mulch at home depot the cashier lady will act like you are buying sooooooooo much mulch. I bought 40 bags the other day for a small job to mulch 3 beds for a customer and the cashier thought that was a ridiculous amount. I told her 40 bags doesn't go very far. I guess most people usually buy like 4 or 5 bags at a time to take home in the trunk of their honda civic.