1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Cheapo trimmers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Stripey Lawn Care, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Alright, here is my situation. I have no extra cash, no extra credit to go out and get a Stihl, or go to a reputable dealer for a trimmer. I have A Home Depot card with some room on it, since I made the mistake of going chep and getting the John Deere trimmer they had and blowing the motor. Luckily they have that 100% satisfaction gurantee, eh?

Anyway, they have Echo 21.8 cc, 2100 model straight shaft for $199.99. or for $269.99 I can get an Echo 22.8 cc, 2400 model straight shaft trimmer. Is 70 bucks worth 1 damned extra cc?

I ruled out the Home-lite and Ryobi junk, since it was all pretty cheap in price, and was interchangeable with that john-deere trimmer. I know that Home-lite made that John-Deere trimmer too.

Now, they do have a Toro trimmer there, with a 1 hp motor on it, but I assumed it was also home-owner equipment, but you tell me.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do they have the SRM 230 if so go for it it's a nice little trimmer for get the 2100 will not stand up to daily use like i said if they have the 230 if not the 2400 will be a good trimmer good luck with whatever you purchase
  3. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

You're not alone......
    I bought the 200 dollar Echo at Home Depot. It was okay. It took it back and told them I wasn't satisfied. I bought the 250 dollar Echo then. I am more than satisfied, and I work it hard every day. No mercy, and it keeps running better every day.

Absolutely spend the extra money for the big one. It has the vibration absorbing engine mount, more power, and bigger fuel tank.
  4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

You better believe it is worth it. I have always used Echos. Ive had 2100's 2400's and just purchased a 260s. There is absolutly nothing wrong witht he 2100. It is a good machine. But yes the 2400 is built better, larger fuel tank and absorbs shock better. And that power difference between the 2100 and 2400 is unbeleivable.
  5. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

I personally don't use Echo, but I heard that Home Depot has a money back guarantee and the they sell alot of Echo stuff. I would go with the best model that they carry and use it till it dies. I heard that they sell the echo oil and line too. Good luck.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The Echo 260 is $289 at our shop. I wouldn't even consider a trimmer under 25cc. I see the difference in price as money well spent, specially if you're buying from a dealer who puts "here" on the work orders as we do. "Here" means it was purchased here and goes to the head of the repair line. That means a lot when you're telling people that your 7 weeks behind in repairs.
  7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

If this is your only option... then yes id throw down the extra 70bucks for the 2400.

A few years back I bought a 2100 and it was underpowered and only lasted 1 season. A friend of mine has been using the 2400 for going on 2 years.

But I'm a STIHL man now!!!
  8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Believe it or not there is a huge difference between the 2100 and 2400.I went from a 2100 to a 2400 edger and couldn't believe how much more power it had. I've had a 2400 trimmer for 5years and it still runs like a top and hasn't given me a minutes trouble. It is considered the entry level pro trimmer and will accept a blade kit if you need one. A 2400 is plenty for for lawn maint. and will cut down small trees with a blade.
  9. new-man

new-man LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

the toro is a good machine
  10. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say it is worth it too. I have a 2100 and really like it so I'm sure the extra power will pay dividends.

Look at it this way. You buy the bigger one and run it at 75% percent throttle instead of the 2100 at full throttle to get the same power. Which one do you think will last longer? And as they both wear out, the 2100 is going to go before the 2400, assuming all things being equal.