Home Depot BEAST Power Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rick13, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used or tried Home Depot's BEAST (Model 36FB)? Their website says, " Turf Beast 36 In. 22 HP 653 CC Subaru V-Twin Engine with Electric Start Hydro Finish Cut Mower".
    Features:

22HP, 653cc Suburu EH65V engine
    4.8 gallon fuel capacity
    Electric start with battery included
    Commercial duty sulky included as a bonus item
    Quick adjust floating deck, no tools required (feature valued at $1000)
    Dual Hydrostatic Drive
    V-Bar E-Z hydro speed control
    Soft start clutch and spindle brakes
    High impact, long life spindles with grease fittings
    Long life aramid fiber V-belt
    High capacity deck for high speeds through tall grass
    Converts in minutes to 36" Brush Beast mower with Brush Mower Conversion Kit part #M36BDB sold separately
    Optional mulching kit sold separately (part #MK36)
    Minimal assembly
    1 year limited warranty on attachments
    Engine and Transmission under manufacturer's warranty

For around $3,300.00

I know it's not Exmark, Scag, John Deere, etc...but Suburu 22 hp engine is huge for such a small deck.... I would think it could almost bail hay with an engine like that!

What do you think?

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Isn't that made in China? You should try to support the USA made products as much as possible.

3. Rick13

I understand the USA made products. I wondering why most 36" mowers have 13 to 16 hp engines and this mower has 22 hp.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I can't answer the HP question, but do a search for a thread called "The Beast" or something very close to that. It'll make your head spin, but it has a lot of info from the rep for the beast, and opinions from all of us here.

I am another one who believes in supporting America whenever possible (which is getting ever harder to do).

5. Rick13

The sad thing in America is the C.E.O.'s of these American Companies love to outsource their production overseas so they can have higher profits. They put the America worker out of work, and then in turn, return their product back to USA so the consumer has to buy it, and then get a higher profit for moving it outside the US. The C.E.O.'s of these Companies figure it doesn't effect them, then it's all good!

I try to buy US products too, but that is one factor. I won't buy something that won't last, doesn't have a know history, bad customer service, and overpriced.

I have no idea if this mower is made in China....usually Home Depot is big in supporting the USA and Olympic Athletes. They usually have the largest group of Athletes that participate in Summer and Winter Olympics. Granted Home Depot is very large company that is based in USA.

Most likely I will go with either a Scag, ExMark, or Lesco.... I just ran across this ad on Lawnsite and wondered if anyone used them, or if they were assembled by another lawn mowing company. So far I don't know where it's made....it just has a very large engine.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Being Home Depot has nothing to do with it. Home Depot has plenty of Chinese products within their walls, particularly in the tool departments.

On these very pages of Lawnsite the owner of the company that makes the Beast admitted that virtually all of the steel in the mower is made in China and imported to their assembly plant in Clayton, NC.

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is called advertising - more people care about sports than anything else.

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Where it is made aside, what is going to happen when you have a breakdown or need a part? Something tells me you can't run around back of the local Home Depot and expect someone to work on your mower, or come up with a part so you can do so. For this reason alone, I'd never buy a piece of equipment I depend on at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, or any other mass merchandiser, and I don't care how much cheaper it is.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

good point from moturkey. but , as they said, cheap chinese crap HD is selling out like wallyworld has .

10. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Bigger engine= more gas. on a 36 you dont really need much over an 8hp honestlly