Home Depot into mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Dec 30, 2003.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone heard this? Home depot is test marketing to see if they can provide a mowing service? This came from a reliable source anyone else heard anything like this?

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Haven't heard anything about a mowing service yet but it wouldn't suprise me at all based on the fact that Home Depot is
    currently offering At-Home Services where they will come in and do installs of Heating/Cooling systems, garage doors installs, cabinet installs, etc.
    A Mowing service may be next on their list of services to be offered.

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they subcontract all these services out. My stepbrother did the screen door installations for a couple of the Cincinnati stores. Made real good money and just had to show up and do the work and do a good job and be professional. They gave a list of installations everyday and that was it. I have friend that was thinking about doing the same thing but didn't want to go through the selection process and requirements. I'm betting that it would work the same way.

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Quite possible......... installs are subbed out by HD.... however, pricing can sometimes be HIGH !!!
    Not worried about it here... plenty of work to go around.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, I think I would look funny with one of those Home Depot hats, and back supports on. :p

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

This is old news, and will probably not go real far. It's a lot easier for a guy to go look for a new screen door and hire them to install it. Then someone going to them for Lawn Care Service.

The only advantage they would have is their marketing power. But I still don't think people would use this service because of the hire price needed to pay the middle man.

Here's an old Thread, there's probably more. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24360&highlight=home+depot+is+mowing

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Dont be so sure about then subbing it out. We got home depot to put in new windows for the house, and they have their own crews now installing. They said the subs were doing such a bad job, they hired their own crews to do the work.

8. michael68

michael68 LawnSite Member

I read about this last summer. They were going to team up with TGCL to test out the idea. Last I heard they put it on the back burner for now. Haven't heard anything else since then. No big deal......plenty of work to go around out there.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yeah but a half arsed carpenter/installer for them makes more than one of our grunt workers makes. If WE can't find grunts to work for us, how will they?? Pay them more than we pay?...and then HD gets a % on top of that?? Can't see how that would allow them to be competitive....let alone even finding people to do the work

HD is forever trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up...around here, Lowes eats their lunch...neater stores, very helpful employees, stores are easier to find things in etc. In fact last month I got a call from the asst store mgr there and asked what he could do to attract more commercial landscape business...told him for starters, he's going to have to get ALLOT more nursery stock, open the gated areas with a cashier earlier, and don't make me pay what Harry Homewoner pays for a plant...his reply was "hmmm...not sure we can do all that"..I just dont think they have the store/outside space to carry enough plant materials to get us to buy there...

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

a little off topic, but didn't TGCL mow lawns once?