1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Depot Lawnboys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JimsLocalLawn, Apr 27, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

To solve your fuel problem....

Use something like Amsoil or Opti-2 with a 100-1 mix for all equipment and don't worry about what can goes to what.

You can also use a good trimmer, take the guard off and run the string out long and use it like a mower.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

X2. If its in a can on our trucks its this. Runs just fine in the 4 stroke push mowers and even the occaisonal Z.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the older two cycle lawn boys over the newer ones but at least the new ones have a Kohler and not a cheap briggs on it.
  4. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I never took the guard off the trimmer. I run a Stihl FC90r that is a good idea tho! I often wonder why so many around here take the guards off, makes good sense.

I wonder what happens when you hit dog poo? It's already bad enough.

I use Stihl's best fully synthetic oil in all my equipment. I just can't justify the $400 + for a decent used older lawnboy. All that and fuel cost twice as much to run with oil / gas mix.

My dealer is closing out his snapper collection because he said they were bought out by MTD. He has a few last year models I can get the commercial ninja mulch mower for $399. I might go pick it up, its heavy but seems like all the lightweight 21" mowers are not heavy duty. I am being picky but it blows my mind no manufacturer makes a durable lightweight self propelled mower....
  5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave up on looking for a lightweight and durable 21". I bought a toro super recycler last year and it has served me well. My next pushmower may the Toro #22156 which is lightweight but it is not variable speed. I just hope the Honda engine is not underpowered like the Honda pushmower I had previously. The #22156 has a 3 in 1 deck which is nice since mulching or bagging are not viable options in the spring.

For limited use I would get the super recycler. The non bbc and electric start model will set you back around $519. It is fast, nimble, pull starts easily.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the ninja is a good choice if you dont have to do hills
  7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The Briggs are made here and the Kohler that I thought was going to be good that didn't make it a year was made in China.
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That explains why Walmart started carrying Snappers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I'm pretty sure Briggs and Stratton now owns snapper.

They also bought Simplicity and Ferris.

That's why you will now see Simplicity mowers with a suspension.

And, I've seen commercials with both Simplicity and Snapper mowers in it.

10. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

My 19" lawn Boy is from 1970 model 5269. Still going:weightlifter:. Love the old magnesium deck. Can lift it easily on and off the trailer.

Kevin :usflag::drinkup: