Home Depot Lays Off 750

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yamadooski, Dec 3, 2007.

1. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

They will fire 750 employees and shut down the call center here in Tampa.
    I have 3 customers that work there. This sucks. Im already down 1500 month on mowing. now here come another 500. So by Jan 1st we will be down 2,000 a month just in mowing.

I wonder how many of those employees are starting a lawn service.
    All my lost customer this year are from customer that had a friend just start a service and the price is dropping real bad here.

A friend of mine just layed off 4 employess cause of lost customers.

So maybe everyone should think twice about moving to crappy dull Florida.

Im gonna hand out my "Doomsday" flyer this Jan. Either it will make me alot of money or it will completely destroy the entire lawn biz in this area.
    I have been working on this idea for 3 years now. I will never know if works unless I try it. Told one other of my closest LCO friends about it he told me not to do until he's on board with me.
    But once we start it will be a domino affect and it will drive the price of lawn care down so far only the strong will survive.

Thanks for letting me rant,,,,I have never started a thread here.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can thank mortgage underwriters for that.

In regards to your new business plan, good luck with that. I hope you have deep pockets.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

Home Cheapo......

4. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

If they can cut the grass in 110 heat index June through October good luck to them very few people can put up with the heat when they get in to the lawn business in FL. I used to live in Cherry Hill NJ and if you did not make a six figure income you were poor and just getting by at least I can have lunch at Clearwater Beach in December and look at the blue water. I have lived in both places and I would never go back most of my friends who move back up north are back in a year or less.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead:It' s going to get alot worse. One good thing about the drought in my area is it weeded out alot of mom and pop mowing outfits. We just had Dana corp. decide it was going to shutdown here. They feel that the Mexicans can make better axles I guess. Here comes some more lowballers.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think so. I put the blame squarely on the employees and management of HD. Their service sucks azz. I was a huge fan of HD in the early years. I invested a ton of $$$ in HD stock. Split a bunch of times and did well. Around 5 years ago the culture changed, few people that work there will help you. I'd say at least half of the folks there don't no chit from shinola let alone where a certain item is and so on. Until they take an agressive approach to change their attitude, rest assured that the stock is going to continue the downward spiral. As far as the mortgage industry is concerned, the subprime market wasn't going to last. Everyone in the business knew that. Even a blind man could see the day of reckoning coming. That's what occurs when banks loan money to people that don't deserve it in the first place.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly is your "doomsday flyer" going to say ??

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Here is something he posted a while back. Keep in mind he has been in business for 14 years and is in Tampa, a city large enough to support an NFL team:

Well its quite simple actually.
    This last summer some yahoo from Brazil decides to start mowing lawns.
    He takes one of my yards that was at 115. a month.
    Then he took another one. So I ask both customers what he was charging. They told me 65.00 month.
    So I talk to a few of my other buddies and it happened to them too.
    So we all got to together, waited till the next week and Mr lowballer shows up.
    We sent 2 of our wives around to track all of his yards.
    The next month, 5 different companies went after his yards and we each took 5 yards all at the same time.
    Can you imagine in 3 days time coming home and hearing "We need to cancell service" 25 times...
    So how did we get them so fast. We fought fire with fire. We did them for free for 1 month and did a much better job.
    After the 1 month we told all the customers why we did it and they all started to pay us accordingly.
    Now buddy does the 2 yards I lost and I do few of the ones that my other buddies lost.
    We all made out good and put a lowballer out business or atleast out of the area we all were working in.
    Others might have oblections to what we did but we wanted to send a message out to local lowballers not to mess with our companies.
    Now we just go up to lowballers and educate them on price and after they find out how much they could be making they usually correct themselves.

Kind of funny that people really think this would work, or beleive this stuff.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

They have chopped the wages of the little people to the point that they cant afford to spend. Every large company in the U.S. is on the ragged edge. This country is in trouble.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I think everybody should lowball the *&%^ out of their area at least once in their careers, I did it when I got sick and tired of the bs, too. It helped a lot at the time, not so sure if I want to do it again, but if I had to do it all over again I would not hesitate.

Side note: When you say 3 years, do you mean you've been in business for 3?
    Because just out of curiosity, it was my 4th year when I did it :laugh:

Many good things can come out of it, I don't want to ruin it.
    I'll hint: Start thinking about the terms cost reduction, and peak production.
    Best recommended with a few years experience, in the end it should help.

Best of luck.