Home depot pushing lawn business too.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prizeprop, Jan 18, 2007.

1. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I was in Home Depot yesterday and saw a trailer filled with equipment with a sign on it stating:Start your own business for under $5,000. Cub Cadet rider,blower, weedwacker and misc. hand tools along with the trailer. Just shook my head and am thankfull that I'm hopefully in the 4th quarter of the lawn cutting industry. Everyone and there mothers will saturate this industry.For the new guys,definetly learn some skills other than cutting grass. Lean towards Hardscapes, planting,irrigation etc. Just my opinion.Wondering if its a nation wide promotion by Home Depot? Any opinions or thought?Other than the equipment is sub par.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed this before, and guys who went before me said that's always been around, you just don't notice it before you get into it. :confused:

While I do agree that they shouldn't sell subpar equipment, but the price is right and you always got someone who can't wait any longer.
    I'm sure if they sell even one of these per big city, that's great income.
    And from a business standpoint, I can not disagree.

Here's the thing:
    While someone who buys it might very well not remain in business for long and later see this is so just because of the equipment...
    There exist no guarantees this person would've stayed in business any longer if only having spent more on 'quips.
    And this way, they're only out 5 thousand (vs. say, 8-10 or 20g).

But yeah, I'm with you: Do it right from the git go, or don't do it at all.
  3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

First time I noticed it and they had it right up front by the registers. I know alot of people think about starting there own business and this might push them over the edge. Nice promotion though who ever thought of it.
  4. Your right there will allways be tthe starter kits. Lets all remember we all started with just an idea. Now Home dump'o has given everyone a visual of the start up. but we all know trucks ,taxes and insurance,maketing costs, employees ect, will make most of thise people start thinking and either go about it the correct way or bail. As for the small percentage that buy that stuff unfortunetly they are in for a rude awakening. And Dumpo makes a buck.

Jim Roth
    First Class Grass
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Great business idea for Home Depot. I would do it too if I were them. I wouldn't worry about any unfortunate person that bought one of those set-ups. They won't last (the equipment or the person) in the lco game. Just the underlying reasoning for purchasing such crap is a near guarantee of failure. I'll keep being as professional as I can and not worry about such things. Too many other things about the business to plague my mind with than to waste thinking about Home Depot and their "Scrub Line".
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I wonder if those have a timecutter on them:)

I've seen starter setups online with DECENT equimpent for not a whole heck of a lot more than that.

I rarely go to home depot but I'll have to see if they have this setup there next time I go...
  7. deereguru1

deereguru1 LawnSite Member

Thats fine and dandy until that person takes the equipent in for service at the nearest Cub dealer and finds out the warranty was only good for 90 days on a product thats being used for purposes other than homeowner. I can see it now, Home Depo will have to replace thier front entryway after some customer backs thier trailer in for a return. WOW I would love to see that.
  8. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

Every year many get into the business and make the 1st six months tough to get accounts. As soon as the Florida heat kicks in, the phones don't stop ringing with people who say" My other guy stopped mowing." I got 15 accounts this way last year and still have them and not one complains about the higher prices because thier yard is kept in great shape. Once a customer is burned by the low ballers, they come to the better companies and are less of a PITA then if they hadn't been through the experience.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a Deere dealer outside of Atlanta with a similar set-up. At least this was commercial equipment though. They had a JD717, JD Trimmer, RedMax Blower and 5X10 Trailer with front cage all packaged for like $285 per month. That could be enough to entise someone into the business.
  10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the fact that HD is doing that one bit. All it does is encourages part-timers and low ballers.