1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Depot switcheroo ...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joe672001, May 17, 2008.

1. Joe672001

Joe672001 LawnSite Member

Hi all. I'm concerned about a lawnmower I just purchased for my home use.

I was interested in a blade brake mower, and of course, since its just for home, I wanted to spend as little as needed. I looked at the mowers at home depot.

They advertised a Toro model 20068 mower that was priced reasonably and I went to purchase it.

When I got there the floor person pulled a model 20076. I said this isn't the same mower, they told me it was and at times Toro changed numbers.

It didn't sound right to me, but they said it is returnable if I'm not satisfied.

Upon looking further into it, the 20076 they were selling in place of their advertised 20068 was a 2007 model yr. Toro.

They searched all the local stores and all they had were the 20076s. These two are basically the same mower with the exception of the motor.

The 20076 model was a Techomsha (pardon spelling) and the advertised 20068 which is the 2008 model, is a Briggs Straton motor.

Am I getting an inferior mower with the Techomsha motor. Should I demand the Briggs or could I in fact be better off with what I ended up with?

Thanks much, for any insight.

2. 0526

0526 LawnSite Member

Some folks like Tecumseh better, some like B&S. Ford or Chevy?
    Only problem with Tecumseh is the sale of Tecumseh Power Products by Tecumseh, but that is inside baseball stuff. I have always liked the torque and economy of the Tecumseh better than Briggs. Others feel otherwise.
  3. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Not the same..not that one is better (but one is.. in my own opinion,let alone newer) so unless not exacly as what you wanted..I wouldn't accept.
  4. 0526

0526 LawnSite Member

The 2007 is new, just not a 2008. Same warranty since warranty starts at sale date. IMHO Tecumseh is a better engine. I would keep it, or go back and try to get a partial refund. Look at serial number, if it starts with 27, it's a 2007; 28 = 2008. Take your choice. Could be it is this mower or no blade clutch due to supply to the store.
  5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'd keep it.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Tec. engines are trash. Much worse than even the worst B&S engine. Tec. went bankrupt in part, and sold out to some investment house. Parts are almost impossible to get. Their carburators are the worst in the industry. Our shop would sell nothing that had a Tec. engine on it.
  7. 0526

0526 LawnSite Member

Have you tried using the mower? Your opinion of how it works is more important than any of our opinions. Just make up your mind quickly if you want to take it back. Home Depot has gotten serious about the limit on time for exchanges.
  8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had both Briggs and Tecumseh over the last 50 years, and as I type this, there are four Briggs and one Tecumseh in my garage right now. Both are ok, in my opinion, but neither compare to a Kohler or Kawasaki which I also currently own.

I don't think it matters which you choose. If I had a choice, it would be a Briggs, but when the only thing available is a Tecumseh, as was the case last time I bought a snowblower, it didn't bother me much.
  9. Joe672001

Joe672001 LawnSite Member

Thanks all for your insight. I think I'll have to either barter with home depot to reduce the price another 100 bucks or get me the mower they advertised.

Ironically this all came about because my lawnmower of 20yrs. has started acting up.

Its a John Deere 14SB (all green) with a Kawasaki motor. I searched for info on my problem prior to purchasing this Toro and only found this link ...

a quote from that thread ....

My problem is very similar. I've removed and disassembled, cleaned with cyclo, blown out all jets in the carb, I've removed the gas tank, cleaned it and the screen out, I've replaced the neoprene fuel line and installed an inline filter. I've replaced the spark plug and run the motor without the air filter. I've opened up the passage in the fuel tank cap and tried running the motor with no cap at all.

After this motor warms up, it falls on its face and even pops back a tad through the carb. nearly if not completely stalling out. If I were to engage the blade, it would surely stall instantly.

It reminds me of a coil problem, but if I fight this timeframe, let it run while I fiddle with the governor linkage, the motor seems to level out and I can finish my lawn.

Perhaps it is worth the price of a new coil to find out, but I've never heard of a coil heating up and getting better again.

I'd love to find the problem with this mower, and forget the Toro all together! :)
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The JD 14SB is one of the all time best mowers ever made in my opinion. It might be worth it to just replace the engine with a new one. New, complete engines for it are available, and not all that expensive. Those H.D./Toro mowers will never satisfy you after using that J.D.