Home Depot, Target, Walmart etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Jul 13, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Do these stores take individual bids or do they have corporate strings you have to go thru, or are the local (i.e 3 stores together in a 40 mile radius all under the same contract)

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

You need to find the District or Regional Manager. Same person diff titles. There is usually a guy that has responsibility for two or three stores and you can use him to get to bid. I would start with the store manager as he can give you the info.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do two Wal-Marts here in MN. Each Wal-Mart has their own bid, from each store manager. However, once you get one, then you can work your way up the chain of command, or find out from the manager of the store that you're doing, who isn't happy with the maintenance they're getting, then head over to that store and bid there.

Here in MN, you have to bid all the Target stores in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area. I still don't understand this, because there's never the same company doing it two years in a row.
    I suppose some of it might be a company looks at it they can pick up 20-24 stores in one shot, and they just chop the profit margin down to nothing. The biggest problem I see is the logistics of getting from one store to the other to the other to the other in rush hour traffic.

Home Depot I tried to bid out, but you have to call the home office in Chicago, get set up as a vendor, THEN put in a bid. Just because you get set up as a vendor, that doesn't mean you're going to get the bid. Too much hassle, I didn't want to deal with it.

Any other stores?? :)

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

lwnmwrman22, The difficult ones (i.e home depot) are the exact ones to go for. Less competition wants to go through all that trouble. Your libel to be bidding alone or with very few others because of the difficulty in getting the chance to bid!

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

thank you very much for the information

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Bunton -

Yes, I agree, but around here it's a national outfit that does them. I know what "assuming" does, but I'm assuiming that they've got a large chunk of the stores since I see them at 3 of them.

I'm a solo operator, I can't really bid on more than my local Home Depot.