home depot trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

ok, home depot has a worksport (pace american) 6.5x10 open trailer, 2ft high sides, fully welded (not a bolt together like snow bear), 12ga square tubing, ramp tailgate, 3" boxed frame for $1599. A local trailer dealer has a 6.5x10, nearly identical, only difference is the frame is 4" c-channel, and its $2395. According to the dealer the home depot trailer is junk. I think his price is just inflated... any opinions?

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that is a bit high on both of them.....around here you can get a 6.5 X 12(all welded with rear ramp) for about $1200

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i paid around 1900 for a 6X14 tandem axle, Carry-On brand.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Something is wrong here, I paid 1500 for my 6x12x2 ttlir and all, from a dealer.
    Now that was 6 years ago but still...

I probably would agree that the HD one is junk?

But that 2400 trailer better be all aluminum, for a 6x10, that kind of price.
    I can get a 6x12 FULL aluminum for 3000, yes, now...

One of these:

flatbed03.JPG

5. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

nope, 12ga steel tube. the aluminum trailers are about $400 more.

heres the HD one:
    http://worksporttrailers.com/6x10open.php#

6. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

can anyone tell me i am looking at a new 8.5' x 24' enclosed trailer can you turn around with a z turn mower, as far as i can tell if my mower is 8' long from front corner to the far back wheel on the other side it should make it around just not by the wheel well.i woul like to put in 3 z turns and my golf cart, we like that for clean up and trimming after we are done mowing. i would like everthing we have in the trailer so were ever we go we have it. then i can free up my garage. any help would be great...... THANKS......

7. SAKuhn

SAKuhn LawnSite Member

We have a 8.5'x24' Wells Cargo Autowagon and I've been able to load as many as 5 z's crossways (60" decks and smaller). I'm loading Hustlers, which tend to be shorter than most (60" is 78" long - 66" is 80" long). I've tried loading a 66" Super Z crossways, but I needed a couple of more inches of trailer width to avoid punching a hole in the wood siding.

8. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

thanks that's what i thought . my z turns are 60" and down bigger would be nice but not at all places. i'am bidding a place right know that has 57 acres to mow , bigger would be good ?

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have come to the conclusion that the trailers at box stores are usually overpriced junk. I can't say that about the one you are looking at because I haven't seen it. BUt the trailers at the Lowes here are definitely junk.

I paid $900 for a 6 x 12 from a trailer dealer.

Edt:
    I followed the link to the trailer you are looking at. From the pic it looks nice. BUT....this is the same company that makes the trailers for Lowes, if I remember correctly, and the ones I have seen in person are junk.

10. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look in the phone book and call all of your local trailer dealers. Base price for my 5x10 was $700.00