Home Depot type aluminum flat bed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ThorVentures, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ThorVentures

ThorVentures LawnSite Member

...anyone know how these trucks stand up to landscaping use? I heard Home Depot auctions off the trucks after so many years. How hard would it be to install a dump cylinder on it?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you lived around here you could buy one easy! Our local Chevy dealer got a bunch of them in this summer, I guess HD must have traded up and went with chevys now! They still have at least one on the lot, at least what I've seen driving by. They are kinda hard to miss, lol.

As for making them into a dump, probably wouldn't be any harder than turhing any flatbed into a dump (other than the challenge posed by the aluminium). It's not an easy project, but someone with a good welder and the skills can do it. Big drawback (to me) is the size of the beds. They are relitavley small for use as a dump bed. But I suppose it depends on what you plan on hauling.

3. ThorVentures

The dump charges us $38/ton to take tree and yard debris, then up to $21 cu.yd. to buy compost, topsoil, and mulch. I think one of these trucks could haul twice as much as a pick-up. This would cost me less than two runs in a pick-up with only one driver, no helper to unload if it dumps. I just found this dump kit online for these today so I'm curious. I like the bed cause the sides fold down for pallets.

[​IMG]

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, I think they still have quite a few (at least 4 or 5) around back. Think they might buy them at wholesale auctions and resale them, because the new trade-ins they keep getting still seem to be Fords.

EDIT:
    Here are some more links to dump bed kits, just found these in the last couple days, planning to put a dumping flatbed on a truck in the next couple months.
    http://www.piercewrecker.com/dump.htm
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336189_200336189

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can make a aluminum bed dump but it may need some extra bracing to keep it from twisting. Problem you will run into is P/U truck frames are 37 inches wide and scissor hoists are set for a 34 inch wide frame which cab and chassis are. Your second option could be underslung hoist which uses two small cylinders to dump the deck. Problem with underslung is the bottom of the cylinders hang below the truck frame.

My first choice would be a telescoping hoist but it will take some fabricating. For a small 9 foot deck you wouldn't need a big cylinder. A 2 stage cylinder would probably do the job.

6. ThorVentures

That 5 ton hoist is 10.65" high X 33.59" long when closed. It won't fit under the home depot flat bed. Those trucks ave 34" wide flat frames.

7. Jason Rose

Scissor hoists don't care how wide the frame is. YOu have to adjust them to fit the bed you are working with. As long as the frame rails are straight (and I don't know how these trucks are built). The 2 center rails for he flatbed should be sitting ON the truck frame rails. The hoist "simply" sits between the rails.

Problem will likely be the frame rail height on the flat bed itself. Most hoist kits need a 6" rail height. Of course the frame rail on the bed could be added on too.

I personally see nothing wrong with the scissor type hoists. For flatbed and p/u bed applications they work great and are very reliable.

8. Jason Rose

What does the length and height measurement have to do with the FRAME WIDTH? As long as the hoist is less than 34" WIDE it would fit fine, other than the height restrictions I mentioned above.

FWIW. I know a local guy that has/had a truck identical to the HD trucks, only his is white. Same truck and bed though, and he has a scissor type hoist under the bed on it.

9. ThorVentures

I read the installation instructions for the 5 ton hoist. That hoist is huge. It belongs under a F-450 or 550, not a F-350 single rear wheel.

10. Jason Rose

Different brand... But this is a 5 ton hoist, under a 3/4 ton truck.

You have the remember that the "5 ton" rating is really just a number, it's not the actual lifting capability of the hoist. I probably am getting 4 tons out of mine due to the incresed dump angle I'm running.

Jason_sTruck043.jpg