1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Depot ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping

Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping LawnSite Member

Does Home Depot Sell anything worth Buying ? I hear alot about the Echo Line witch I bought a Trimmer a Blower and a Edger all from there all were 179 trimmer and the Blower and Edger 199 so what else is good to use from there anything some say nothing some say Walk Behinds. What do you all think ?:usflag:
  2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even look at their mowers unless you barely going to use it, their snow blowers are crap too.
  3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy shovels and rakes from there...
    sometimes annuals for plantings.
    oh, sometimes I buy spare nuts and bolts that I may need.
    painted my trailer John Deere green.... got the paint from HD.
    couple of lawn and garden books ....
    my washer and dryer were from Lowes...
    need play sand once.... HD.
    irrigation supplies.... HD and Lowes...
    PVC.... HD and Lowes...
    gonna tile my kitchen.... Lowes....
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Wood! I buy wood from Home Depot :laugh:
  5. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

what about there 0 turn jhon deeres?
  6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

it seems with most of us are new we tend to buy from hd. then we find ourselves replacing with better products once we have had to replace a few times . i guess it is o.k. to start with.
  7. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't even bother. Just for an example of comparison:
    JD EZ425
    7-8.5mph (two specs given?)
    Won't last 1500-2000hrs.

Actual used mower at local dealer:
    Grasshopper 721D
    21hp Diesel (more torque, less fuel)
    Suspension seat
    2000 hrs on it, but will last that much longer

So, buying the used mower, you gain 6" cutting width, 1.5-3mph speed, powerful diesel engine, more comfortable operator station, and you save $1000. I know the used mower has 2000 hrs on it, but the Grasshoppers with Kubotas just keep on going.

A used commercial walkbehind mower can be found for less than $1000 and offer good productivity and longevity.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Heck no! That won't last very long at all for commercial use. Find a local dealer and give him some business.

I buy some paint from home depot, wood when needed and assorted hardware but thats mainly it. I get my plants from local nurseries or garden centers.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont purchase any lawn equiptment form them....

P.S. there markup on wood is wayyyyy to much
  10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I hate buying from HD and Lowes, I try to support local family businesses as much as possible.

Don't buy any equipment, even IF they did have decent stuff, they won't remember your face if you walked outside and came right back in again. Go somewhere where when you walk in, they ask you how you're doing and actually mean it.