Home Depot???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Is there any trimmers at home depot worth buying besides the echos? What about the Toro 18inch 1 hp trimmer, is that crap?
    I need some help! Please reply, and is there anyway i can get a good trimmer for $200.
  2. thebruken

thebruken LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have been using the Toro from Home Depot since they came out, I think in May of this year. I use it between 2-3 hours a week. It has performed very well so far and it has plenty of power. It has more power than my Makita trimmer and also noticed it has more power than my friends Troybuilt 4-cycle trimmer. I think it is a good trimmer for the money although I have not had it long enough to tell about it's longevity.
  3. Kingbman1

Which one do you have, theres one for 200, i think it has brushcutting blades also, or the $160 one which is just string.
  4. Milbradt, Scotts, US Turf, Erb, Ed's L&G, Afton Lawn Equipment, El Jay, look in the yellow pages....

5. thebruken

thebruken LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have the one for $169, I did not need the brushcutter one.
  6. Kingbman1

At those dealers you can't find anything under $200.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You used "$200" and "good trimmer" in the same sentence. That's an oxymoron.

Depends on your definition of 'good'.
    Good for homeowner, once a week, trim the driveway edge and put away till next week.

Couple of points I'll make, I promise I'm not bashing your comments as such, maybe trying to point you in another direction.
    Yes, these are JMO.

Echo products. Wouldn't waste my money. Did in the past, never again. Both trimmer & blower.
    Neither were ever 'easy' to start.
    Had problems with line feed from spool from day one. Tried different lines, bought replacement spools, tried many and various things, never worked any better. Second year it got so bad I just smashed and trashed it.

Blower, after it was started, worked OK for a few months. Pull starter assembly destroyed itself, rebuilt it. Second year, nasty clunk noise, then obvious noise that something broke inside and was eating itself from the inside out. Never worked again. REALLY ticked me off, was on a roof blowing out gutter at the time.

Next point. Buying 2 cycle tools from mass merchandisers, retailers.
    Unless you're willing to do a lot of meticulous research, don't do it.
    I know a lot will probably say they do it all the time, well fine for them. But, have you ever noticed the difference in model numbers. A retailer might have a trimmer model xyz-123, an equipment dealer will have model xyz. Long story short, retailers demand lower prices to be able to 'compete' = sell at lower prices. The xyz-123 tells the mfg. that this model is for retailer stores only. Translation= it's made cheaper. May not have same engine, internal parts may be inferior, may have only passed 8 out of 12 factory inspections. CHEAPER PERIOD!

You'll get what you pay for. You want a $200 trimmer, OK, but don't expect it to perform and last like a true commercial model.
    Consider waiting, saving a little more, then get a commercial trimmer.

Yes, reality dictates that it is still possible to have problems from a commercial unit, but chances are slimmer than a 'retail' unit. Why start with the cards stacked against you!
  8. timslawncare

timslawncare LawnSite Member

You can get the Echo 210 here for $199 at Home Depot. I also have a Echo 240 that was $300, they both seem to have the same power. The 240 has a much larger fuel tank.
  9. temlawn

temlawn LawnSite Member

K heres one for you....spend an extra $40 and go to homedepot or wal-mart and get 3 weed-eater brand string trimmers.....use one...after about a year it will break down....throw it away....and open up another brand new one.....and go for another year....thats what I do. I call them my throw away weedeaters. If they break down, I throw them away. Or save the old ones for parts.....
  10. timslawncare

timslawncare LawnSite Member

Rustic Goat, I've never owned a Echo that didn't start very easy or had one fall apart. Echos are O.K. by me.