1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Depots Irrigation book

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I was at the home cheapo today, browsing through a book on pond building, when I thought that perhaps the authors didn't know anything about it, and I didn't know enough to realize it.

So, I grabbed a book on irrigation, and browsed it, and now I finally understand why homeowner systems are hardpiped crap.

That was enough to scare me away from buying a book on pond building from them :)
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lowe's is the same way...

copyright is about 1984.....
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I like the response you get from a homeowner when you are called to repair their self installed HD systems - "what is a swing joint? They don't show THAT in the book" :laugh:
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen some real good text that are at least that old. In this buisness, age doesn't make the advice bad. It's the bad advice that makes it so much fun. We see evidence of it here in small quantities. Home owners asking questions because they've been told differing opinions, and even those who do this for a living who want to advocatte maximum spacing for cheap systems. I wish certification and licensing were required everywhere. I did a few years in TX and, no the systems not perfect, but it is SO much better than having those "hey, that looks easy, I want to do that" companies for competition. They are great for the repair buisness, but they give the industry a bad name.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, repaired many HD specials - installed by the homeowner or the guy who taught the class. They don't understand why the repairs cost more than the install.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well guys, i know how to repair heads, fix lines, etc. But I want to get more fimular with how the valves and whatnot work, because I keep getting calls about getting irrigation systems installed. Anyway, what kind of good books are their. Also I will most likely be doing my own house first, just incase I were to mess something up. my uncle used to do this, so most likely he will help me, but I would like to read some books just so I dont seem like a complete moron when he comes over. So ya, what are some good books and where to buy?

Thanks guys.
  7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a library of books on plants, grass, operations, accouting, etc. The only psuedo text I have ever encountered on irrigation I have been 20+years reading and I haven't finished yet :)

On a serious note, the text I have seen all seem a lot like the turf grass and landscape ops books I used in college. They have all been written by book smart people who have absolutely NEVER been envolved in a real world project.
  8. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I picked up a few books from www.Irrigation.org which were very informative.

Hit 'Resources' on the menu bar and go to 'Bookstore'. From there choose what fits your needs the best.