1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Home improvement license to mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ProStreetCamaro, Aug 9, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I found out last year that here in Maryland you are suppose to have a home improvemnt license to mulch somebody's beds. Does this apply every where? Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

2. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Prodtreet,
    Not everywhere. PA I can do anything!

I am glad you found out. It amazes me how many people in MD have no clue. Almost anything that is done for hire to improve a home falls under that catagory. Get paid $5 to dig a hole and to plant a tree for the lady next door ? Need a MHIC.

Now, my peeves with the whole deal is the test is all about contract law and wage law. A MHIC proves you passed a test and have liabilty insurance. Does not say squat about your ability. BTW you do not need one to build a house for someone. Another screwy deal - by law, I can remove a garbage disposal, but I need a plumber and an electrician to install the new one!

MD Dept of Licensing

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

It applies everywhere in Maryland. You need the licence to do any improvement on a residential property.Not for grass cutting , but for landscaping, irrigation , painting , decks , replacement windows ,sealcoating , etc. And it does not have anything to do with the quality of your work , or if you know what you are doing .I would suggest that you obtain the licence , from what I remember its 5 years and a 5 grand fine for contracting work in Maryland with out one. As far as mulch , if you are remulching an existing bed , you shouldnt need it , but if its a new bed its now landscaping and you need the licence.

4. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member