Home made aerator Ideas

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TandAlawncare, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TandAlawncare

TandAlawncare LawnSite Member

My partner and I are looking to make a core aerator to pull behind a 4 wheeler. We are looking to weld the spoons onto a 55 gal drum and put wght in the drum any other Ideas of how to build one.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

pogo stick :cool2:

3. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Why don't you just buy one? Home made equipment look cheap and don't get you a lot of business.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

welding the spoons on to the drum will not work. as the spoons will want to juts snap off the drum. most spoons when they are attached to an aerator have more support along the length of the spoon rather than just welded to the base of the spoon.

Plus you'd have to weld a bunch more spoons as a 50 gallon drum has a pretty large circumference not to mention it would be hard to replace a broken spoon...

5. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

I agree with moose. but if you are going to build one make it look like a normal one.

6. TandAlawncare

TandAlawncare LawnSite Member

Would buy one but one needs a good amount of money to do that or even rent one that is why I asked for Ideas right now.I would love to just buy one but that is just not a option.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

have you though about how much you'll spend, both money and time on a home-made unit.

you also need to think about the down time when it breaks while you are in the middle of a job and you need to pull off the job or go rent one to finish...

8. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

pull behinds are cheap

9. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

I bought mine for $179 from Home DePOTT. It's a 40" wide.

10. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

there ya go