Home-made core aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by peeklandscaping, Aug 21, 2013.

1. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Hi all,
    wondering if it's possible to make a core aerator to mount onto a mower? I know JRCO makes an aerator that mounts to the front of a mower , as well as the zerator one, but they are like thousands of $$$! Is there a home-made or custom- fabbed option out there for a fraction of the cost? Photos? Ideas? I'd like a front mount one, like the JRCO ones, if possible. I can't use a tow-behind aerator because I have a stander mower.
    thanks for your opinions :waving:

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose its possible, however the "spoons" are expensive.

Look into a use one.

Used blue birds are around all the time

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a fantasy many of us have had but very few have been able to realize. As I have gotten older, my mechanical curiousities have become limited to 'things I would like to have that nobody offers' and 'improving things that are so poorly made they are unreliable or not practical for me to use.' Other than that, I tend to just buy equipment that has been proven to work.

Generally, I have found that 'custom' and 'fraction of the cost' are terms that are rarely used together.

4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I think is was about a week ago where someone posted a link to those mounted aerators like JRCO does for 399 made by country zero turn. No idea on the quality though. [​IMG]

5. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Can you mount one in front of say a 48 turf tracer?

6. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

that really looks a bit flimsy. Don't know what it would do in a sharp turn!

7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

No way is something like that going to pull enough plugs
    And our soils would just laugh at it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like the spoons are spaced ten inches apart. Plus if you aerated with any speed, I assume it would be like sitting behind a manure chipper

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

You can have someone make you a hitch for your stand on. There are some with Z Sprays that have used a tow behind with a custom hitch.

My experiences with aerators mounted to the front of z turn mowers has not been very good for what it's worth.

10. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

What is the spacing? How many passes does it take to get 9 holes per sq ft?