Home-made mulch plate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmeister, Apr 14, 2005.

1. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I'm considering making my own mulch plate to close off the side discharge shoot on my Ferris 1500z. My concern is that I also want to get an Accelerator bagger and I don't want it to interfere with the mounting bracket for the Accelerator. So my thinking is to mount it on the side. The only issue is that there's an extra baffle wich would make the drilling and mounting a bit tricky. Also, my preference is to use some kind of metal for this.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions? Pictures?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had a welding buddy make me one last night for my 737. Im using the same holes as the accelerator bracket, just have to take off 2 bolts and bracket and put the plate on with same bolts and holes, only takes about a minute.When I need the accelerator just take plate off and put mounting bracket back on for the catcher, very easy to use.

3. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Ferris will be shipping their mulching kit for the 1500Z in the next few weeks. It will include baffles and a blocking plate. Will that work or are you looking for something else?

4. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I'd rather not get the baffles because I'd like to easily switch between size discharging, mulching and bagging. But I heard they sell just the side plate without the baffles for around $45. So that may be an option.