Home Made Remedy to Determine Soil Type?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rjeffers, Mar 30, 2005.

1. rjeffers

rjeffers LawnSite Member

What methods can I use to determine what type of soil (clay, sand, etc) is in my yard.

I'm brand new to lawn care and rather embarrassed to say I can't determine by eye-balling the lawn.

Also, I'm in Maryland. Does homedepots/lowes sell soil test?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Take about a cupful of soil and put it into a clear glass or plastic jar with a tight fitting lid. Add water (2-3 times amount of soil). Shake vigorously to mix the soil with the water. Let jar set. The sand will settle first, then the clay, then the silt. This may take several days to get all particles settled out. This will tell you how much sand/silt/clay are in your soil.
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The silt will settle before the clay. Also add a little detergent and put it in a blender. That will disperse the clay particles. If the clay particles are not dispersed they stick together and act like sand and silt, settling out early.
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmmmmm I just use a shovel. Silly me. Now if you want to determine the PH then a test is needed.
  5. Grassmechanic

see, that's what happens when your fingers type faster than your brain. :D
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Farmers and old timers use the soil in hand method of getting a handfull of soil,squeeze it in a fist.If it stays in a fist shape its clay,breaks up its loam,falls thru fingers its sandy.
  7. Grassmechanic

What if it's a wet clay loam? or a silty clay loam? or a sandy clay loam? or a sandy loam? or a silty loam? or sandy clay? or...... :D