Home made scrap metal Sulky!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rwbsod, Apr 7, 2013.

1. rwbsod

rwbsod LawnSite Member

Check out this Sulky I make from scrap metal lying around the shop! (including the wheel and diamond decking!) I'm into it $.79 (for the new farm pin clip), and some time (about a day).

I just used some channel, angle, plating, and square tube. The bearing was a part of an old sod cutter. The Mower already had a sulky mount bolted on the frame so I didn't have to fab that!

It works really well! I think I'll shorten it a little bit because the front frame where my toes go hits curbs and walks and whatever is on the edges when I'm trying to turn inside a corner.

SAM_0013.JPG

SAM_0010.JPG

SAM_0011.JPG

SAM_0012.JPG

SAM_0008.JPG

2. shawnlc

shawnlc LawnSite Member
    from na

Looks pretty cool!

3. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice! Definitely saved a few bucks, too.:clapping:

4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

It will probably outlast a factory built sulky. How well does it work?

5. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Nice! How long did it take you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rwbsod

rwbsod LawnSite Member

It doesn't flex at all and the steel is thicker so it should never wear out on the edges like I've seen other Sulkys do. My other mower, an eXmark turf tracer has the big Velky Superpro behind it. This one I built is lighter than the Superpro. It works pretty well, feels like my Velky. The biggest problem is if it jackknifes, it will bend the diamond decking and hit the tire (I already did that backing it off the trailer the first time!). I might have to add some stops or something. Over all I'm pretty happy with it.

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Pretty good fab job....
    Put a piece of flat bar on the tail end for a skid plate..that's where they wear out first..
    I usually use a section off an old blade...good high carbon steel...

8. rwbsod

rwbsod LawnSite Member

It took me pretty much a full day (and a sleepless night the night before, designing it in my head:)). The welding part didn't take much time, most of the time was spent thinking, and digging through the scrap pile looking for pieces of metal that would make a simple, light, and strong frame.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is the part I like, The challenge of designing in my head and finding the right material...... But there's nothing more rewarding than having something come together and function as figured.....

Good Job rwbsod !!!

10. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

I started one today, after the main platform was weldes u i realized it was way too big, I think i'll borrow your idea.