1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Made Striper

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lawnstriper23, Oct 17, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Just had an idea to make a striper for my Hustler Mini Fastrack mower. Has anybody ever used a conveyor gravity roller to make a striper? I was thinking about trying my luck with making a striper, but will need to figure out a way to make some mounts for the roller. Any suggestions or ideas with this? Thanks......Striper
  2. lawnstriper23

I guess I'm on my own with this one. I will post pix if I figure this out.
  3. lawnstriper23

This is the conveyor roller that I am talking about. The roller comes from a conveyor belt like is used in a factory setting. How heavy are the rollers like this that Exmark uses for their rollers? I can get these fairly cheap and thought it might work out for a roller. Right now I am using the chain method roller. It works, but I want something a little more professional looking........

4. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer with the striper kit.As far as weight, I do not know.What you have might work.Just remember when you set it up,you do not want the roller to be making contact with the ground.Set it to be about .75"-1" above the ground at your usual mowing height.You do not what it to have a "rolling action"on the ground.If you do you will be replacing the bearings on it more often then you should be.You want it set so that it just lays the grass over not rolling the ground.Hope this helps :)
  5. lawnstriper23

Thanks for the info on the striper. I am looking to make this one of my projects for the winter time. I won't be able to try it until the Spring and that is the only downfall. I will make a few brackets to hold the actual roller and then give it a try in the Spring. I will make a few extra just in case it works and I can offer them up to fellow Lawnsite members. Hustler doesn't make a striping kit for my Mini Fastrack and I am sure there are no plans for them to consider making one. I will keep everybody updated...........
  6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

7. lawnstriper23

That looks like a nice setup. The only issue with my machine is that I have antiscalps on the front of the deck and not the rear. I will need to fabricate some kind of mount to attach to my deck. Shouldn't be that hard and I do have a buddy that welds. How did you mount the PVC to the mount?
  8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

I did this to my bota: It was an old GAC water filter (about 45 lbs). Bought some chain ($2)

9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea with the Kubota tractor!:)
  10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

You wouldn't mind selling me two of these would you? Lol....

Can you get them in lengths of 50" and 36"? Or do they come in only one size.