home made suspension seat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjw, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bjw

bjw LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I am sure someone has already tried this, however it made such a difference in my comfort level, I decided to share. I have a Dixie 72" unit which I use in Florida. It has a big well padded seat but, I still get knocked around quite a bit over uneven ground. Now, I am a big guy, 6'5" and 240 lbs. I so wish Dixie made a more comfortable suspension seat. I have complained about my back for a couple of years after spending a day mowing. I purchased one of those "memory foam pillows", like you see advertised all the time. I got it at Target. They had several sizes, some more dense than others. I picked out the thickest most dense one I could find. My wife, stiched a terry cloth case with velcro ends. I compress the pillow from about 4 1/2 inches to about 1 1/2 inches just by sitting on it. But really, it takes so much of the jolting shocks away, that I can run the unit at least 20% faster and receive 50% less jostling around. For $ 15.00, best addition ever made to a Dixie...
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds cool. take some pictures.
  3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like something I can use. Do you have a brand name and model?

4. bjw

bjw LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Chad & Ed

These things are made by a number of companies, every major store carries them. It is basically a memory foam pillow stuffed into a terry cloth pillow case. Nothing fancy. Wal Mart, Target, Sears all carry it. Just look for the thickest most dense "memory foam" pillow they have and give it a try.

5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Not that I would condone disabling a seat safety switch but my Exmark Laser already was unhooked when I bought it used. I took a couply of springs that fit snugly on top of the rubber plugs and it made a world of difference.
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes take some pics...great Ideia...Lets get a patent on this baby...With all these rough yards every little bit of foam helps.