home office deduction

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Westbrooklawn, Apr 1, 2004.

Do You Claim a Home Office deduction on your Federal tax?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
  2. No

8 vote(s)
  1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you who work from out of your home take an income tax deduction for a home office. I am particularly interested in part timers.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What possible reason other than absolute stupidity would you have not to? Who throws out repair receipts? or gas?....
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have talked to 3 different accountants about taking a home office deduction. And they all said it was not worth it because you will have to pay back all the property taxes back when you sell your home. And the deduction wont add up to more than a couple hundred dollars at most.
  4. amar

amar LawnSite Member

My CPA firm has advised me to opt out on the deduction. Its not only property taxes that youll have an issue with when you sell. I don't recall exataly what they told me it was about three or four years ago, but there is an issue with the net profit from the sale or your home.
    Talk to an accountant they will set you straight.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

My accountant has always taken a home office deduction for me.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Interesting topic.
    Our accountant says no. Curious to see what others here have to say about it.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

As a former accountant I do not take mine either. Why? Simple, it has been known to be a red flag for the IRS for audit.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Exactly! That's what I was hoping to hear someone say.. That's exactly what our accountant told us.
  9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Now you might have some insight into what ".......other than absolute stupidity...." might be a reason to not take a home office deduction. I would be interested to know your accountant's take on this subject.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This is what i was told, Then the accountant started to tell me how he is able to do it:mad:
    This sucks