home or cell phone or both

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by turfsup, Mar 4, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

Do you guys use your home phone, cell phone or both for your biz. I want my accounts to be able to get ahold me but I'm afraid of getting calls at all hours of the night and morning. I was planning on using the cell phone for the biz. Is this a good or bad idea. Also, is 500,000 enough for g/l insurance for a solo operation on residential accounts. Thanks much!

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i use my cell phone mainly however i do have a business line but its also my internet connection.

3. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I strictly use a cell phone for my business phone.
    I use nextel with a free incoming plan, that way your minutes do not count when people call you.

By using the cell phone you can shut it off at night so you do not have to worry about them calling you at all hours of the night.
    The worst I have had is 6am, unfortunately I did not have it turned off.

Problems you may encounter is if you are unsatisfied with your cell phone company it is tough to switch, since you will be changing #s.

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That won't be a problem in a year or two.

We use a cell ofr our business line. With us being a small business it is the best method for us.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have cell phones to communicate with my men, my fiancee and my friends. Occasionally I will give this number to clients who I know won't abuse it. I also have a phone for my house that is in my fiancees name. Absolutely will not give this number to clients. The other line I have in my house is for the business, and it rings from 6 a.m. all the way to midnight. I turn the ringer down at night and try to answer as many calls as I can when I'm in the office. I have to say I am good with returning phone calls I miss, though.Mike

6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Just a suggestion and it won't work for some people.
    My phone at home allows me to forward calls when I want to. Just have to dial a code and give the number to forward to. Make that the cell phone. Then when at home just take the forwarding off.
    Mine also will automatically forward when it is busy or no answer. That way I can use the home phone for the computer without worrying about missing any calls. Just make sure the cell phone is turned on.
    Cleve.

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Dedicated business number that customers get. Home phone that customers don't get. Don't have a cell or pager. With only 50 customers I don't get too many calls. When I get off work at 5 p.m. I'll spend about an 1/2 hour or less on the phone before I mark my work and call it a day.

Ron

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

On all of our contracts there is a office number from 8am-7pm leave all non emergency messages here, for emergency calls a cell number and fax number is also listed on contracts. We are a maintenance service company so we are on call 24/7 do to our location (snow)

9. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Have used a cell my first 2 years, now I am finally getting a land line. We have an extra line in the house that we would be cancelling, since we are switching to cable internet, so I just took it over for the business. It will be $25 a month for me (no long distance) in added expenses, but I feel that it will be a bonus for people to see a local # on my ads, rather than oh, where the hell is "(508) 450 -XXXX". The cell was tough because it was my personal cell phone before, and I would never know when to answer with "Hello" or "Roscioli Landscaping, How may I help you" I think the separate business line (which now also has a fax) will be good. The crappy part? the phone number is 5290... 5296 would spell L-A-W-N. DOAH! (and yeah, i checked with the phone company about the availability of 5296, and a whole host of others, nothing was available..)

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is EXACTLY how I operate!

MATT