1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Owner Associations

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grass Happens, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how one goes about getting in contact with a HOA? I know they have a president, and the owners all vote and what not, but how do i find out who to call to talk to? I simply want to be added to the list that they use to get bods from. However, short of knocking on someones door and asking "Take me to your leader" I cant figure out how to find this info.
    Thank You!
  2. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, you may have to do just that, knock on a door or two. Most HOA's are managed by a property management company. The problem you may run into with the management company is that they sometimes have a "list" of contractors that they like to use and will recommend them to the HOA over someone that they haven't worked with. Sorry for the run on sentence.

I hope that helps some and good luck with your endeavor.
  3. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

I agree, We take care care of 8 large H.O.A.'s and the way we got them was by going around knocking on doors, find out who the president is and go from there. One of those i didn't even know i was in a HOA until the lady told me lol. Good luck, they are a great money maker but be prepared for lots of old people that have nothing better to do but watch you :eek: I actually had the cops called on me one time when i was fertilizing. She thought my lesco ride on spreader was a four-wheeler....cops just laughed.
  4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, OK. My only issue is that most of them have a nice big old "No Soliciting" Sign up. Yea, I was aware of the old people issue, but what are you going to do?
  5. desii

desii LawnSite Member

The other option may be to contact a few property management companies in the area. They usually know who takes care of which HOA and, if they don't manage it, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Wost case scenario, it's self managed, then, you'll just have to knock on a door to get a contact.
  6. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

You're not trying to sell anything to the home owner, just get some information. Try it, what's the worst that could happen?
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Most HOA's post a public notice of their next board meeting n location ... like a public library .... usually posted near the entrance or if they have a common pool or such

Do a search on the HOA's name n many have websites as well ... the tax collectors will have info on whom pays the taxes on the common grounds which will usually lead you to a PO Box to send some info
  8. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Most are managed by property management companies. These property management company normally bid the contract out each year. If you get in contact with one of these companies then you can be put on their bid list.

Normally they ask me to send them some information.

What type of information do you guys normally send to these companies? I'm having trouble figuring out what to send them.