Home Owner Cub ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnstriper23, Apr 28, 2007.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Went out looking at walk behinds this morning and I stumbled across this Cub. I want somethiing that will last, but don't have tons of money for a commercial type mower. I cut approx 1/4 acre with no slopes, but a good amount of flowerbeds. Anybody have any input on his machine?

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...2710_33831_-1#

2. lawnstriper23

Alrighty then, thanks for at least looking....

3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Your link doesn't work. I tried it Sunday, and again this morning, but no luck.
    Just an error message from the cub cadet site.

4. lawnstriper23

5. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Ah, looks like an updated version of the Troy-Bilt 33" wide cut mower.

I had a Troy-Bilt wide cut. Purchased it new in 1994??? I only used it on my lawn at the time, but it performed well on my 1 acre VERY sloping yard. I never had any major issues with this mower. Just an occasional belt problem. But I used it on a very steep yard. I sold that mower around 2001. Mine had an 8.5HP Briggs I/C engine--pull start.

6. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

Just recently purchased this mower about 2 weeks ago. Does great for gated backyards. Does not handle well mowing across steep inclines but will walk up and down them all day. Less than half the price of the billy goat 33" or the quick 36. So far we love this mower. I did change the factory blades right off the bat because we were not happy with them. Went with high lifts. Seems to have improved the cut quite a bit.

7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If it's something you're going to keep for a while why not try a Quick 36. It is more $$ but allot more HP and the quality of cut is there. I have one if you wanted to see one. I just moved out of N. Ridgeville and I am in LaGrange currently.

-TAZ

8. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

I ama quick 36 owner and would agree that the quality of cut is better and it does have more horsepower. It handles almost identical to this cub though. I was never happy with my quick going across banks either. It pulls up and down hills great, but without dual belts or pumps a walkbehind is useless going acroos the grade.