Home Owners Are Hilarious

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Sep 30, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I was aerating a rather large lawn on Saturday and while I was there I noticed a neighbor spreading fert on his lawn.
    I look up again and this guy is mowing his lawn.
    I look up a little later and this guy is pulling a sprayer behind his lawn mower.

This all took place within an hour!

Home owners are hilarious!!!!!!

They don't have a clue!

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

They always do it when you service a yard. I've noticed this many times
    They see you fertilizing and they come out fert.:confused: And have know
    idea what you are doing you

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I don't know if mowing after a granular fert app will disturb the granules except on bare soil. I hope the guy didn't mow short & remove too much weed foliage or cover up weeds with grass clippings.

Today was sunny with variable winds at less than 3 MPH (great day for spreading Dylox) and in the 70's.......beautiful. More than once today, neighbor's were firing up lawn mowers as I reeled my hose in. Twice people knocked on my truck window to ask questions, etc. They were coming out of the woodwork today. On windy days, this seldom happens. But I guess it's human nature, and I'd probably do the same thing. I just wish our customers would stop mowing short.

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I wish homeowners would stop mowing. period.

i love the uncut grass 2ft high on the edge of the sidewalk their sears tractor can't reach.

I love the homeowners that think their lawn tractor is the best in the world, just because it's a john deere.

I love the homeowners that water their lawn in the middle of the day when it's 100+ degrees out.

I love the homeowners that buy grub control in April.

I love the homeowners that don't blow off the clippings, and let it accumulate in the sidewalk 3" on each side.

I love the homeowners that plant 8000 alberta spruces along their driveway.

I love the homeowners that stripe their lawn with a drop spreader.

I love the homeowners that take an entire season to spread a pile of mulch.

I love the homeowners that have Christmas lights up all year.

I love the homeowners that think there is a "Scotts 4 step program".. and nothing else.

I love the homeowners that mow their lawn...maybe 3 times a year?

I love the homeowners that park their cars outside because their garage is full of ****.

I am a homeowner...I do none of the above.. I must be a genius.

5. mkroher

wait i have another one...

2 weeks ago i was renovating a lawn. I killed it a week prior and I was in the process of beating down the dead stuff with a weed whacker. Suddenly I noticed the neighbor from across the street waiting for me (to talk?). He asked me what I was doing...I felt like being a wise ass, so I said my customer wanted me to mow his lawn for him. I don't think he caught the sarcasm. anyways. He apparently is an expert in lawns, so he says "looks like he lost a lot of lawn this year, eh? Lots of dead areas, did you check for grubs?" (He lost the lawn because I killed it. It was all bentgrass). I told him I killed the lawn because it was ugly. At this point I was very annoyed being kept from my work. I looked over at his lawn, immediately saw probable chinch bug damage. I said something is eating your lawn pal, you better call someone.

There are tons of people in our industry that are smarter than me. But when a homeowner comes over to "talk shop", and thinks he knows more than me.. I draw the line. Forget U pal. Get away from me.

6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

damn you guys are angry..... lol I do see the same points that you brought up though... I personally love the fert stripes and christmas lights. ;)

-TAZ

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just more reasons I've stayed away from the residential market now.

I know there's much money there, I just like a simpler life..... :laugh:

8. mkroher

but there's more hot moms in the residential market :p

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

... I love it when a homeowner wants to 'dragrace' you with their homeowner mower, You on the ZTR on your customers' lawn, them on their lawn.
    This happened last week, I wasnt wide open, just doing my thing. The neighbor (old guy, too) fired up the ole JD, and put 'er to the floor, all the while watching me to see what I was doing. He almost hit a few trees, and jumped the curb once, right out into the road 'cause he couldn't stop at the end of his 'stripe'. Now his lawn looks like someone from the mental hospital was handed a weedeater for aggression release!

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I love the ones who call the police on me for:

Watering when I am not watering
    Watering from a tank and not the faucet

Or the ones who:

Have an old car parked around side of house
    Never trim after cutting lawn
    Never trim hedges
    Never fertilize or control weeds
    Offer to mow one side of the entrance, but leave otherside for me to do (Which happens to be small side so essentially a wasted trip)
    Ones that never mow, or when they do they scalp.