1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Home Owners Associations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threeponys, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Threeponys

Threeponys LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Trying to get foot in the door to cut for an HOA. Many of the residents are unhappy with the current contractor, i.e. no flowering plants at entrances, tall grass, irregular servicing times. I've called the person in charge of handling this property several times, only to have NO RESPONSE or return calls. I feel as if it is a friend of the manager and I'm getting the shaft.

Any thoughts on getting a foot in the door with proposal? Have the numbers and what they pay for service each month..... WOW! I was close (slightly lower) and definitely know they'd get their monies worth.
    I have insurance but is there something required such as bond? If so what does that entail?

Thanks in advance.
  2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Lets rephrase the question and see if it helps you get an answer.

If there are hundreds of thousands of Subdivisions and I call the manager at just one Subdivision repeatedly, to ask him for work (work that I suspect is being done by the managers relative), but this Manager does not ever return my phone call, What should be next course of action?
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Marry into the family. Or call another subdivision.
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Most HOA's have monthly meeting's, drop in on one and try to talk to this guy.. If it's a friend of his then just give up and go on.
    You could talk to some of the home owners to try to stir up something. Just a thought... Good Luck.

Lou :cool:

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Find out from the residents that are upset about the high grass and lack of flowers and ask them who is the president of the HOA or who he person is that overlooks the landscaping and lawn maintenance of the property. If it is under the control of the management company that you have been trying to contact then stop by his/her office in person to see if they are just busy or are ignoring you. Every group is different as to what your requirments will be but you can bet at least 1-2 mil in liability, proof of licencse, workers comp. and references.