Home PC

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by coalburner, Nov 28, 2003.

1. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I am looking for a new PC and I was wanting your opinion. I have a DELL and it has been a good machine. What would you buy today?

Next question: I have cable Internet how do I hook up the old Dell and two new PC's off one connection in one house?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get a Commadore 64. Just kidding! I had a Compaq for a few years and it gave me a ton of problems. I got a Dell after that and its been pretty good. I'd probably buy another one when the time comes.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I built a screamin meanie for right at $1000.00

P4 2.53
    Radeon 9700 Pro video
    SB Audigy Gamer sound
    1024 DDR memory
    60 gig harddrive
    cd rom, floppy, etc.

I'd buy a barebone kit, then buy a video card, sound card, an OS and drives and you're set. If you don't know how to put it all together, find a friend that does, or take it to a PC shop, and you will get twice the machine for half the money.

AS for hooking up more tha one PC to a single internet connection, you need to get a router. Linksys 4 port will do you.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Agree with Elephantnest.. For the money you cant do better than building one from the ground up.

If I was going to buy from one of the larger companies, I would go with Dell as my #1. Easy to upgrade and great customer support. Gateway would be #2.

As for HP and Compaq, they are to propriatary and to hard to upgrade. Alot of times things like the sound cards and other components are what they call on-board components meaning they are permanent features of the motherboard making it imposible to change them out.

As for networking goes, if the computers are going to reside in different rooms in your house then you need to be wired with CAT4 wire in order to network them through a router. You may want to consider a wireless router instead of running CAT4.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Coalburner,

How about something like this?

Cable/DSL Wireless Router. Click image for link.
  6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with dell they have great computers and great service. ( I personally use Macintosh but that is a personal preference) as for the networking question i would go the wireless route you just need a wireless router and to LAN cards, or you can put one computer plugged into the network with network cord and run the other one with a wireless connection. There are many different ways to configure a home network. I personally use wire less connections for 3 laptops and then i have 4 desktop computers that are all using network cord. I installed and hooked them up my self, it is not that hard to do. I ran most of my cord through the vents in the house to each room temporarily i will eventually run them through the walls. So if you have any questions feel free to PM me and i can see if i can help you out.
  7. "Get a Commadore 64.

That was my first computer and I still have it :D U can't beat some of those old games!!!
  8. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I've built all my machines in the past, but PC's are now too cheap. Walmart just had a NICE HP system on sale today for $498. Two years ago I'd tell you to build it yourself...but it's really not worth it anymore.

HP or Dell are two of the more reliable systems. If you gave me a e-machines or Compaq...I'd probably give it back. I'm not a big fan of Gateway either.

If you do decide to put one together, it's not hard to learn. Great tutorials online to help. Just check the sales ads first.

P.S. If you're building a network (to split your internet connection over several PC's), go with the Netgear router over the Lynksis. I could write a whole book on my experiences with both.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mine was a Vic-20.....then I upgraded to a real computer with a 2400K modem.

I would also go with a Dell. That is what I am using now and will again in the future...it's been a great machine and tech support is there when you need 'em.

Building yourself one is not hard to do now days, with everything so compatible, but....then you have to install the software and that can be a chore. The main reason I bought a Dell was the tech support.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have no complaints with my hp pavilion ze4300. I picked it up this spring and use it for school, games, and the business.