Home shows your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pghlandscape, Oct 4, 2008.

1. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

we are considering doing a home show in march 2009 has anyone ever done them? if so any advice?

2. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

We do a couple every year. Done right, they bring in a lot of new contacts.

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Very expensive but a great way to get your name out there. We give away a ruler with our name imprinted with the correct grass cut height. Got them from RND SIGNS.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one of the largest Home and Garden Shows in the region in Cincinnati and it is a pricey setup to do, so we do it once every other year. We usually keep a 4 man crew running for 3 months from the contact generated at the show alone. Now, our investment is: $2000 for the space, $4000 for materials dry laid so they can be resold), 3 guys out of the field for 3 weeks (1 week setup, one week takedown and restock, 1 week at show.)

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never personally done one, but have heard good and bad about them. The good being that they can bring in a ton of work. I know of one contractor where about 40% of his work for the summer is generated from one home show. On the other hand, I've heard you need to be prepared for a lot of idea stealing price shoppers.

6. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to do at least one home show in the spring. I don't really think it would be great for a mow only operation. I'm going to really push decorative concrete in the spring and I think a how show is the perfect place. Shopping today and they're pretty pricey. Looks like booths start at $600 for the weekend and in a larger city are more than double that.

7. pghlandscape

pghlandscape LawnSite Member
    from pgh,pa.

1750.00 for a 10` x 10` in Pittsburgh