Home tech sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jun 17, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Guys:
    I ran a search but nothing came up. About 3-4 months ago SOMEONE posted some photos of a sprayer that they had constructed that attached to the fronts of a riding mower. Could whoever made the sprayer respond. I need to find out the type of wide angle nozzles that were used.
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

Tee Jet puts out a catalog of All kinds of boom sprayer with Nozzle sizes and set ups. They even give calibration and flow rates for each nozzles at different speeds and pressure settings. Their Website might not be complete since they have merged with two other companies to offer all kinds of High tech equipment under the Tee Jet name now. Contact them to send you a current catalog or you may be able to down load one off the net.

BTW a "Flood Jet" type nozzle can spray very wide areas with only one nozzle.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

WO!!!--Thanks Ric--Like I said "You da Man"..
    Oh yea Ric, I did a week check on the "Dismiss" Stuff is awesom. Green Kyliinga has stopped growing, thatis, no evidence of seed pods, and is turned that dead yellow green. Probably a mowing and it will be gone. Great stuff--though expensive--but goes a long way. 1 oz. will cover 5K in centipede. St Augustine has an A.I of .027/K.
    Thanks again,
    Roy

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have several sprayers that I have made for mowers. I usually start with a pull type or skid mount and just change it to what I need. Do a search on my name and you will see them.
    I just bought one of the boomless ones from TSC. It's not what I had hoped it would but I will keep playing with it. I don't have any pics yet ot it. I have it on the front of mt Steiner. It has two nozzles that are supposed to spread 30' wide however it is very inaccurate. I did test spraying on hot pavement and the pattern was pathetic. I am planning on using it for roundup on gravel parking lots so it doesn't have to be perfect but it sure would be nice if it was a little closer. Even small bumps tend to move the nozzles which affect the pattern and spread width. Needs a lot more tweeking. I couldn't see how the boomless would work on grass and broadleaf control without causing problems.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Cantoo

I have been playing with the boom less Flood Jet Nozzles myself. What I have found is a Pressure regulator must be used with a 12V pump. Of course all Gasoline Sprayer have Regulators. 12V pumps will cycle between 45 and 60 psi. This pressure differences messes up the spray pattern as the pump cycles. The regulator set at a PSI lower than the lowest cycle pressure gives a constant pressure need to calibrate. I have found that the 12V pump's PSI can be turned up or the pressure switch by passed to give very high PSI.

BTW I see a ton of pastures that could use weed control. However the Cow Hunter here in Florida could care less about the weeds. The Boom Less Flood Jet could cover a lot of pasture real cheap as compared to a Boom model.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

ric, you have kind of read my mind. We have huge problems with Canada Thistles here in pasture fields and I am thinking this setup mounted on my 4 wheeler would cover alot of ground quickly. Our fields are much smaller or at least the fields I am planning on are smaller usually under 50 acres. Dandelions are also taking over in two or three years in horse pasture fields. Horse guys have more money and are more concerned about looks so they will pay for the weed control. I was considering "spray" wickers but too slow and my pricing would be too high. I think the boomless will be good enough but to keep my chemical costs down I want it more accurate.
    Using it for gravel parking lots would just be a nice extra source of income for the setup.