home test:grubs, chinch bugs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fishindude, Jul 15, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

Is there a basic/simple method to check for grubs or chinch bugs in a yard? The grass is St. Augustine. Thanks
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, get on your hands and knees and look.

Get right on the edge of the dead and live grass. Put your fingers down and rub back and forth very fast, the dead grass will break apart and fly away, your fingers may burn a bit. When you stop look for critters scurrying away. They may be cinch bugs or bill bugs or what ever. If I remember right cinch bugs are longer brownish and have pincher. Bill bugs are tiny black shiny beetles a little bit bigger than pin head size.

For grubs pull up on the grass in the same area. If grubs are eating the roots it will pull up very easy, then dig to confirm your diagnosis they will be just below the surface. While you are at it look for tiny pinkish or cream colored pearls. That is Pearle scale, they will also cause similar damage.

Disclaimer: All this is my experience with Bermuda hybrids. I have not worked with St. Augustine.
  3. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

Cut out the bottom of a coffee can. Pour a soap and water solution into the can after you have forced a portion of it into the soil. The chinch bugs will float. As for grubs, the label on most pesticides state the cut a 1 foot square area of sod, turn it over. If you find 10 or more grubs, treat. Otherwise, grab a good hanfull of the St. Aug and pull. If a "sod piece" come up, and no roots, you have grubs (or mole crickets)