1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homeade Striper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandFakers, Aug 7, 2011.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I really do like the look of well defined stripes and a long. I dropped the back of my deck on my Z 1/4" and that helped alot, but it wasnt enough for me. I went searching for an actually striper and all i found was innadiquit(???spelling???) and overpriced stripers. So when i found a member posted about one back in 07 i tried it out and low and behold it works great. i can still get on the trailer well and it still fits even with it being extremely tight having a 36 walk behind sideways on the front and my 52 lazer on the back of our 5x10. Im extremely happy with how it turned out. It was simply a "lets see if we can do it" kind of thing. Opinions are welcome. Thanks

Mower 001.jpg

Mower 002.jpg

Mower 003.jpg
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Should work fine. I'd consider lowering it down to the lower hole on the mounting bracket you have, if that's possible. Seems it could drop straight down vertical if the front of the mower goes over a steep edge. Not sure if you understand what I mean. Almost like it would "prop" the back of the mower up if it the right condition.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Kind of a moot point now I guess, but you should drop the front of your mower 1/4", not the back. You need to raise the back.

Your srtiper looks good to me, and I know those wheels do work. I believe I'd take a look at dropping that mounting bar down to a more shallow angle as well, as the guy above mentioned to you. Less chance of an accidental jackstand as he suggests, and also when backing up.
  4. LandFakers

from CT

Yeah, I understand and we are thinking about doing that. When backing off the trailer it nearly is vertical so we are going to try and make that bracket connecting it to the mower longer. Still working out the bugs :)
  5. LandFakers

from CT

I mispoke, im sorry but i meant the front. Got my words mixxed up ;) And yes we are looking at lessening the angle of the mounting bracket, whether that means extending the bracket coming off the striper or turning the L-Bracket that is connected to the mower upside-down, as it is currently upwards. Thanks for the suggestions!
  6. ChevHayes

ChevHayes LawnSite Member

Looks good.. Do you have any after result pictures?? I'm curious to see how well it stripes.
  7. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

The only thing that I could see is when you turn around....there will be a tendency to want to slide vice travel around....which may damage the turf in the process....
  8. LandFakers

from CT

I will post pics after i do some mowing tommorow and it doesnt damage grass at all. you can turn 360 degrees and it just slides along the ground. the more wheels you do put on though means more supertrack and more weight to go along with both of those things. So im not sure how 14+ wheels would do as i only have 13.
  9. dependablelawn1

dependablelawn1 LawnSite Member

If you cut the yard right with the mower the way it is you don't need anything or any changes to the deck. :hammerhead: