HomeDepo spreading bales for $5

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 12Valve, Oct 9, 2009.

1. 12Valve

12Valve LawnSite Member
    from NC

Heard this today on the radio thought wow! Said for $5 per bale they were deliveing and installing bale inculed. How can they do this and make money I guess volume volume volume. Said see store for stipulations ect. Anybody else heard of this.

2. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Have not, nor have I heard of spreading bales up here. Must be a thing they do down south? That's one of a few things I need to learn about this industry, is the whole straw, pinestraw thing with landscape maintenance.

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

As a mulch, right?

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I heard the ad here in Charlotte. " As low as $5 per bale installed" I wonder how much if you just want one bale installed. At any rate...my customers will think I'm a thief when they hear this.

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I still find the regional differences interesting.

Here in the north I used to charge to get rid of pine needles.

Go a few hours south and people are paying for the stuff.

6. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

$4.75 installed here by Home Depot, The only thing is that it is targeted to the home owners with the 10-20 bale installs. Those are not a real money maker for us, but if you get a lot of them then its worth it.

7. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

Hell if they do good work I might sub them out and still make $2 per bale.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the plan right there

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

If my customers see someone other than us doing the install, they will have questions. You could lose a good maintenance customer. On commercial accounts, this may not be a problem.

10. skennedy

skennedy LawnSite Member

THD is trying this out in the Charlotte and Atlanta markets. I read somewhere that in Atlanta alone they sell, not install, about 7 million bales of pine straw! The group who has been subcontracted out is probably vying for the maitnenance accounts at these properties. One thing I know for certain is the quality of the pine straw is hit and miss. I prefer to purchase from vendors like West GA, Putnals, etc and keep my clients happy with higher quality plus our color treatment allows us to provide superior looking pine straw at lest cost to the consumer.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009