Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you ever hired a homeless person?
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but was approached by one looking for a job once.
  3. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

Its funny you brought that up. About three months ago I picked up a hitch hiker (clean cut), way out in the country. Its was on Sunday morning and it was very cold out. Long story short, he told me he lived at the local shelter and he was en route from a friends house. After talking with this guy while driving back into town I asked him if he needed any work. He started helping me a couple days a week. He is a hard charger, stays busy and most important respects my gear. I plan to work him as long as he wants to help me. I'm still a part-timer but I have been very lucky getting new customers this year already.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

We had one at my old job for years...guy slept in his car in the parking lot. He showed up every day but was a lousy worker. Oh and he could go indefinitely without bathing...;)
  5. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We have done it twice.

One last summer who worked hard (not well, but hard) until he got his first paycheck. Never saw him again and we still have a second check for nearly 40 hours he never picked up.

Hired one three weeks ago, said he was a Katrina displaced person. Similar story as above except saw him a couple of days ago - WASTED.

The next on who comes along will probably get a chance. Who know's, the next one may be a great, long term contributor. Hope so.

6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

we have a mental institution up the road and their is a half way house their.. Plenty of times when i was short handed i went up their and grabbed a guy. I don't even get out of the truck they are always outside smoking cigs even at 4 am in a snow storm, for the most part they work out great.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I have. He no no longer works for me but lives in my back yard
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

not to sound like an azz but is that a joke? if not, i think it's great you let him live there:weightlifter:
  9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well the other day I was parked between a home depot and a mcdonalds around 1:00. I was walking in micky ds to get a bite (with my logo on my shirt and truck) and up comes this guy with a back pack, rolled up blankets, and very dirty clothes. He asked if I had any work he could do. My first thought was "I don't think so", but I paused for a minute (because I realy could use the help) so I told him to come on inside and I bought him lunch. By the way this guy is 30 years old, not some old disabled guy. He tells me his hard luck story and tells me he has living in the woods behind a wal mart for a couple of months. Only thing he has is a couple of suitcases that he had stashed under bridge and the things that were with him at the time.

So the last couple of days he has been working for me, I pick him up a t 7:00 am (where I found him) he works 9-10 hours per day, then I drop him off the same place, he goes and gets a bite to eat and goes to sleep in the woods until the next morning. He is saving the money that I am paying him ($8 per hour) so that he can get into a halfway house this weekend. He is a hard worker, but like someone said above, not to great at running an 21" or trimmer yet, but very willing to learn anything (greatful for anything I will pay him for).

Well so that this doesn't get too long I will post some more details later, this was the abreviated version. Kind of wanted to know if anybody has hired a homeless person and they ever stay?
  10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i havent but i think its a good idea...i am a one man crew but if i ever got big enoguh needed the work or what not and they were willing to work, and work hard id put him somewhere....its nice to see that u gave him a chance...people like u really amke a difference in this world...so i thank you