Homelite chainsaw.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 12, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hi guys. I could use a chainsaw for some small "once in a while" jobs.
    Didn't really want to spend big bucks on a commercial grade item since it would wouldn't be used much.
    Homelite has some decent looking saws and they can be gotten even cheaper on something like e-bay.
    What do ya think?

2. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I have yet to see a Homelite product that was any good. Keep shoping.

Paul

3. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the same thing last year and bought a homejunk, sold it to a friend this year for 50.00 and bought a stihl 025c, well worth every penny.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dont waste the money. Stihl makes a 019 that sells for less than $200, thats the way i would go. Nice small saw.

5. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

the best 2 cycle equip. is STHL

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Homelites are pretty much junk now. I bought one in 1976 that lasted until 1996, (20yrs). They used to make a great little saw. I now use a couple of small Echo saws. They are inexpensive,and run great. They are lightweight too.:)

7. i personally use the stihls. i dont mind paying for them either. if you want a saw that wont dig into your wallet as much as a stihl and will still perform well i would say go with a husky. a good friend of mine had purchased a model 55 a few years back. i think it was 350? but it had a 20 inch bar and everything. i had purchased a 41 a year ago. it was a good light saw for once in a while use. but i have a stihl that did what that did and more. so i sold it for a few bucks. but that is good for you. it takes i think a 18 inch bar. for once in a while use you dont need any more than 18 or 20 inches. and if you do then keep that small saw with you and go back later with a 44, 66, or 88.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

For quality, even if you only use it once in a while, Stihl offers an outstanding product for a comparable price when you factor in maintenance and quality.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I bought a Homelite for a good price. I wouls recomend it for occasional use. I own a husky 61 and a stihl 019t. That homelite has yet to give me problems. My next saw would most likely be husky.

From what I heard, years ago, Homelite was a supreme commercial saw. I wonder what happened.

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use only Sthil power tools. They are hard to beat. Even if you are only going to use it every now and then you need it to work. Check around for used ones. We picked up an 036 for $100 from a tree service in our area and it has never given a minutes problem. Also have on older 041 and two 046's.