Homelite Eqiupment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GCSTL, Jan 24, 2010.

1. GCSTL

GCSTL LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I need some honest advice.

I am trying to get my gear together to get going this season, but had an unexpected expense arise that seriously cut my startup budget.

With that being said, would I be ok going with 2 Homelite trimmers & 2 Homelite Blowers just to get me going.

Is it realistic to get a season out of this stuff.

2. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Bottom line…you have to do what you have to do…personally, I would say there is no way you are going to stay in business with anything made by homelite however, it will probably last long enough for you to make enough money to replace it.

I bought a homelite blower a few years ago…I think it lasted about 3 months

I defiantly wouldn’t buy 2 of each though….just buy what you need for now, save every dime you make, buy better equipment as soon as possible

3. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 LawnSite Member

i bought a homelight trimmer last one day I would suggest picking up some used equipment. I only bought the homelight because i was in a bind. You could always get a trimmer from home depot and sign up for a credit card and finance it or something. I was at home depot today and the homelight trimmers were $100 for like another $130 you could pick up an echo trimmer that would last longer

4. chavezw16

chavezw16 LawnSite Member

i bought a homelite blower and it did not last I did buy a poulan pro blower from wal mart for about $100 it has served me well for the price.as far as trimmers i have never used one but agree that you should only buy one of each and save for better equip

5. Centralmichiganlawncare

Centralmichiganlawncare LawnSite Member

its up to you but i have to say i had a homelite bloer and that thing sucks dosent even blow the grass of the driveway. i only use redmax for my business and i have one craftsman trimmer at homeand love that one. If your looking for something to last a season try sears they sould be able to get you through the season.

6. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

Either buy used or get 1 commercial trimmer and 1 commercial blower

7. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

stay away from homelite buy used first at least if something is wrong with it the local dealer will fix it and you'll get years of service out of it. homelite will last a commercial person with minimum 25 weekly accts 2 to 3 months tops homelite according to dealers in my area are desgned for the homeowner to use once a week for a year or two depending on where you live and how many months a year/hours year you will operate it. Before I got into the business my family owned several homelite blowers b/c dad was to cheap to spend the extra 80 bucks to by echo/stihl but the following year he would plop down another 99 bucks to get a new one. Craigslist will have echo/stihl etc used with minimal hours on there for less than a new homelite

8. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

I use a homelite string trimmer and it sux. Will be getting replaced soon

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't recommend Homelite to a homeowner who ain't got squat for a yard,
    that is the biggest POS ever made, might as well use shears, a broom and a rag.

I kid you not, but if you absolutely must find out the reason why Homelite is a POS I might
    suggest buying one, the price isn't high at all and I think you will soon see what I saw, too.

>>>> SPOILER !!! <<<<
    Here's what happens with the Homelite plan:
    First you'll try not to look the fool, then right as you're thinking that despite the fact that it's taking a little
    bit longer than expected the machine craps out requiring you to fix it, and before it's over you will have
    repaired that machine as much as you've used it, basically.
    >>>> End Spoiler <<<<

So if you have to do it, you know, but plan on the money being a waste, also I wouldn't go
    picking up too many customers while you're on the Homelite plan, I think One would be enough.

You might try McCulloch or Poulan, they ain't much better but it is an improvement, Ryobi is right decent in comparison.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Just like Topsite said, Homelite is the worst of the worst. If you have to go the HD/Lowes route, check out the lower end Echos and Husqavrnas anyway. Trimmers take alot of abuse when in the wrong hands, be careful buying used, even a high end one. The lower end Husky and Echo's should last you a season, maybe longer.