1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homelite Gas blower- Please Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cowman65, Jul 12, 2001.

Should I get the Homelite Backpacker gas leaf blower?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2001.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
  2. No

25 vote(s)
  1. Cowman65

Cowman65 Banned

I have been using a pretty good electric blower on my 1/2 acre yard for 5 years now. I'm now debating weather or not to buy a gas blower. I have a few oak trees an lots of grass clippings. I have been looking around and the homelite backpacker looks like a good deal. It is $163 at home depot. Is this a good price for a leaf blower? Is Homelite a good brand? Will it last? Should i even get a gas blower? Please Help!
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one before. MY friend owns it. I think it sucks. Comfort is OK. PRice is good. Power sucks. I like commercial. IF your residential theres a residential forum I beleive.
  3. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

If cost is a concern, and you are a residential person (don't cut grass professionally), than go with your Homelite. Personally I've had a couple of their trimmers (years ago), and always had problems with them. The only 2 cycle equipment I now own is Echo, and RedMax. These are used hard every day and have NEVER given me a problem. If you can afford it, go with commercial equipment. You will be happier.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The lifespan of Homelite equiptment is limited to say the least. As a homeowner you can possibly expect to get 2, maybe 3 years out of it. I had a couple of them back in the day. Do yourself a favor. Drive past The Home Depot and go directly to your nearest Stihl dealer. Tell them you want a Stihl BR320 or BR420 (if you need a little more power). The BR320 is around $329.00 and the BR420 is around $379.00. With care either one will last a homeowner 15 to 20 years plus.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Seems that most people have had bad luck with the Homelite backpack blower especially (from reading posts in the archives/search).

My advice would be to look on e-bay for a new Poulan Pro backpack. I got one for $200 on there. These go for $299 at Lowes.

Although I've never used another backpack to compare it to, this is quite powerful! I had been using a handheld Shindaiwa, but really liked the Poulan Pro after using it earlier this week for the first time. Try it, you'll like it.
  6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

If you are inclined to get a smaller machine like the homelite, get an echo pb2100 hand held instead. If you look at the homelite backpack you can see it is a handheld in a cradle to go on your back anyway. The echo will hold up better and is around $200. I would say, as others did, to go with a commercial brand and have no regrets.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I own one of thoes blowers. Personally I would never buy one again. Like Jeffyr said its made to be a handheld. With just the backpack part and a diffrent hose. Notice on the handle the writing on/off.

Its a good homeowner starter backpack.

Also notice the plastic choke switch, first time it hits the trailer or truck its gone and your stuck finding a homelite dealer to replace it, or using a plyers to start it. Every time you need to choke it to start.

If your stuck on getting something from home depot get the Echo handheald. Unless you can afford the Echo backpack.

I'm still looking for a good Blower/Vac thats cheep. Mainly for thoes darned corners and thoes few leaves in the back of the beds. Altho would be nice for clippings and gutters.
    I think RedMaX makes one with metal fins. anyone know of others that are?
  8. D&V

D&V LawnSite Member

I suggest that you go with a used commercial backback such as a echo, stihl, etc. This blower will last longer (if its not too old), it will be about the same price, and most importantly will have more power. Hope you find one that suits you, just my 2 cents.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor & forget about that Homelite. Find a Redmax
    dealer & buy a HB2300 hand held blower. The HB2300 puts out
    more air & will last a home owner 15-20 yrs. ED
  10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like I'm in the minority here but i've been using Homelite backpack blowers for the past seven years and have been satisfied with them. I do not do much leaf blowing but for just blowing grass thay are more than adequate at a great price. True they are not as solid as some of the truly commercial models but they are lighter and more comfortable, and we should all be taking care of our equipment anyway, right?