Homelite R.I.P

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, May 6, 2000.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Death:<br>Homelite Trimmer 1999-2000<br>$89 Home Depot special. Survived by Homelite blower. Passed away Friday afternoon from complications due to commercial work.<p>Birth:<br>Shindaiwa T-230X 1.1HP<br>proud new owner ToroGuy.<p>Thanks to my semi-anonymous friends at LawnSite.com I narrowed my trimmer replacement to the Shindaiwa T-230 or the Stihl FS 80...The Shindaiwa was $5 less, so I bought it and some oil. <p>I will proudly edit my Who? Where? What?<br>
  2. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

congradulations!! To bad u lost the 89 bucks, but it was a good start.. i hope u made more then that while it was alive!!
  3. Toroguy

Thanks Matt,<br>Im still mourning the loss, the homelite more than paid for itself. <p>I havnt named the new guy yet, Im thinking maybe &quot;Shindy&quot;.<p>Heres a Cyber Cigar....
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I love homelites,I give them to my summer help to use so they dont kill the good ones.I have one I bought in 1984,it was 69 bucks,it has been used commercially since new.It still works,the bearing is shot in the head,but it has outlasted several so called commercial units.If one of my dumb kids run it on straight gas,or twist the shaft around a tree, I just pull the good parts off and go get a new one.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I happen to like the homelite st-275. it is the only clockwise rotation straight shaft trimmer that I know of. as I am right handed, and I like to trim a property left to right, it works for me.<p>I bought an echo 2400 and used it for a week. HATED IT! TOOK IT BACK! now I'm afraid to spend the bucks for any other counter clockwise spin trimmer. so far,no need. homelite has it covered.<p>a dealer told me the difference in a homelite or shindawa, stihl, etc is that when they need repairs, they cost the same as a new homelite and you still got a used trimmer.<p>I knew this post was coming sooner or later, and I was dreading responding because I know how everybody flames anyone using homelite. oh well--I guess that smokey smell is me!<p>GEO
  6. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

We buried our homelite blower today. The new Redmax 6200 came in from Alamia! Long live the King!!!!!
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A few years ago when I started I bought 2 Homelite trimmers and figured that I'd burn them up and then buy a commercial unit. I'm still waiting because they haven't burned up yet. But when they do, I know what brand I'll buy because of this forum. Do you?
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Funny post toroguy. A local hardware store has quit carrying homelite recently. Too many complaints. When I first go into the business the mechanic advise me not to buy homelite. That it would not stand up to commercial work. But I could buy the stuff if when it tore up I could just throw it away. You have been very lucky Mow ed. But your pruductivity would definitly increase with commercial equipment. Alot more torque in the commercial equipment
  9. garbage man

garbage man LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have a Mac 100 that I bought in 1984 and a Homelite 135 that I bought in 1993 and both are doing fine. They have paid for themselves many times over. I would like to buy a Stilh but can't afford it on my part time budget. I think for the summer only work, evenings and weekends, the Homelite beats out the cost comparison 100%.<p>I would love to do lawn care year round but my location makes it almost impossible to do. So I have to go with a full time job and lawn care on the side and cost of equipment is a major factor for me.
  10. Toroguy

&quot;Shindy&quot; and I appreciate all of the replies...The difference between the 230 and the 230X is the &quot;X&quot; has a shoulder strap. They should have called it an &quot;S&quot;. There is supposedly a &quot;Blue&quot; version out there, not sure what that is however. I am looking forward to using it Monday.