Homelite Trimlite starts but then dies

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hollow, May 18, 2007.

1. hollow

hollow LawnSite Member
    from TX

Hi,

I have a Homelite Trimlite (weedeater). It has three choke levels A,B and C.

I am supposed to put it on A, hold down the throttle, then pull the starter cord 3x. Then, I am supposed to put it on B, hold down the throttle, and keep pulling the starter cord till it starts. After a while, I am suppose to put it on C.

The problem I am having is when I put it on B it dies after a short while and if I put it on C it dies right away. The Trimlite will start, then I'll switch it to B and hold down the throttle and it goes, but if I move the trimmer so the engine is closer to the ground than the front, it dies, so I keep the front part down and the engine higher, and it stays on longer, but then dies.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

It use to work fine but for some reason doesn't anymore. :(

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get a stihl or an echo, maybe redmax or husqvarna.

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

yikes that is some hefty helpfull half pennies worth thar top!

Hollow;
    Clean gummed carb,replace fuel-pump valve thingy,clean tank,exhaust pipe,airfilter,put in new spark plug&gas,possibly primer bulb replace..did'nt fix?...THEN..Get a Echo!

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Hold a contest to see which one of your friends can throw it farthest into the field....

Then go out and buy a Tanaka, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Robin, Echo...or some other quality machine.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Put in choke position.
    Prime primer maybe 2 times.
    Pull rope once, maybe twice until unit "pops".
    Take off of choke.
    Pull rope again and start trimming.

Don't know if this will work on your Homelite, but that's how it's done on the real gas powered trimmers.

Seriously though.. I feel for you.. I really do. Just keep repeating the process.

6. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced a stihl with a homelite like in the post ($69) that $69 trimmer runs better than the Stihl ever did. Got sick of having it serviced. Figured I would buy a $69 unit and trash it after the two year warranty and be money ahead. That trimmer is now 5+ years old. Starts on the first pull.

If what you have is a low cost unit and is out of warranty I would most likely be cheaper and quicker to just get a new one.

"You get what you pay for" but sometimes all you get is ripped off.

7. Marty1Mc

Marty1Mc LawnSite Member

I had a decent Homelite Chainsaw about 20 yrs ago, but their stuff went downhill like Pull-on-it (Poulan). I now have a 20 yr old Echo and a 4 cycle Stihl. Both are awesome.

To answer the question, you probably left the thing with gas in it over the winter. It is probably the worst thing you can do. The gas will evaporate and leave the oil behind to gum up the carburetor. Try pulling that little carb off and using some carb cleaner. Get all the little passages and the junk out of the main and idle jets.

8. hollow

hollow LawnSite Member
    from TX

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah I did leave it for a long time with gas/oil in it. I'll try what you said.

9. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

Also, check pump diaphragm in carb for hardening. Rubber should be soft.

10. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Pull-on-it (Poulan).
    --
    I love that!