1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homelite trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

My homelite trimmer when idling keeps spinning ??? does this mean the clutch is sticking or seized . Starts ok and works fine just hard to put down account head is always spinning any ideasa???.
  2. deere mowers

deere mowers Banned

not for sure on that type, but my father-in-law has one of those . i think that is the nature of the beist with that make of trimmer. do you use that for comm. use? hope this helps
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a homelite... thats your first problem. I'm not sure what it is, maybe someone else can help here. BTW, welcome to the site!
  4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one of those home cheapo $50. red things along time ago and from day one it spun at idle. I even turned the idle down a bit thinking it was set to high. I think thats just how they are,
  5. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i've got an old POS Homelite trimmer. it did spin a little when idling, but not much.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to say it but I have a homelite and I belive a few do here also. It still starts on one or 2 pulls. Run it as a back up and at least one day a week during season to keep it movin. I have had it for probably 8 years. I now have commercial trimmers and would recomend them due to the extra power.
    Any ways to your question. Adjust your idle and see if that helps. on the side near the carburator there are two screws, Low and High. Adjust the low idle screw till it stops spinning.
    Either 1 your trimmer wont run and there is another problem to be addressed or 2 it stops spinning at least enough to hurt anything when you set it down.
    Good luck.
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

A lot of the cheap trimmers don't have a clutch. I've got a Homelite backup trimmer that doesn't have a clutch. My uncle bought a brand new Homelite back in '95 and that didn't have a clutch. You don't get a whole lot for sixty bucks!
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Has the head always turned when the engine was running?? Some of the cheapest ones do turn all the time, but some of the more exspensive models do have a clutch
    When i started out in buisness I had a Homelight that had the clutch, it served me well, but i trimed with it i didnt try to use it for a brush cutter. I had it for 4 years till one day i got in a hurry and didnt place it in the truck bed very well and it fell out on the road and i ran over it with the trailer
  9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto that. I bought one in 95 because I was in a pinch after someone helped themselves to my Echos in the back of my truck. That Homelite had no cluch either.
  10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen clutches fail and stick so they dont release. It may just be rusted and needs a little lube.